yourbabe
Learning English It's very common in China that people have been learning English for several years,they still do not dare to speak it.I believe their spoken English is not so poor. Therefore I did some research to find out the reason. Then i realized we focus on useless words and care more about the grammar. And we also forget that English,as a language,is a tool to communicate.Fortunately,we all know practice makes perfect.But there is a long way to go before we can speak English fluently.
yeah,absolutely.If you want to learn a foreign language well, you shouldn't be afraid of losing face and should show your sincerity.
Pride and fear of making mistakes could be contributing factors too. Some people are too embarrassed to put themselves out there and make a fool of themselves, but that's the only way to learn. And besides, most people find it humorous and are not being rude when they laugh. Sometimes it really is funny, so relax :P People really appreciate it when you try and speak their native language to them :) unfortunately, Americans are not always so forgiving. We sort of assume everyone in the world should speak English well so some people have no patience. But I think that is changing a little bit as more and more Americans are starting to learn foreign languages. That way, they begin to understand the struggle haha
I always tell my students not to be afraid to speak at an English Corner (none are afraid in mine though...). It does take practice. Hopefully your teacher will make speaking fun and casual. I encourage you to speak to native speakers. Do not worry about a topic. Just say whatever comes to mind.