Aram
Tama ba ako o mali? 1) Saniba mo ang ____ sa konti kaninang E: You said ___ a little while ago (You said Manok a little while ago) 2) Nag-aral na ako ng libro E: I studied the book 3) Pinag-aralan na ko ng libro E: I studied the book object focus 4) Nanonood ako ng movie E: I'm watching the movie 5) Nanood ako ng movie E: I watched the movie Salamat.
Dec 31, 2014 2:58 AM
1

Tama ba ako o mali? = Am I right or wrong? (Perfect!)

1) Saniba mo ang ____ sa konti kaninang
E: You said ___ a little while ago (You said Manok a little while ago)

Saniba -> Sinabi (said) - "saniba" is not a Tagalog word

“manok” = chicken.

You said “manok” a little while ago. = Sinabi/Sabi mo “manok” kani-kanina lang.

You said “manok” a while ago. = Sinabi/Sabi mo “manok” kanina lang.

The repetition of the first 2 syllables of a word, would give a less-than-full meaning to the word.  For example, “basahin” (to read) becomes to skim with “basa-basahin”.  So, “kanina” (earlier) becomes “a little earlier” with “kani-kanina”.  However, since “kanina” means “earlier today”, the addition of “lang” (only/just) makes it “just earlier”, which gives it the equivalent meaning of “a while ago”.  We never say “konting kanina” even if that seems to translate to “a little earlier”. 

2) Nag-aral na ako ng libro = I already studied a book.
E: I studied the book = Pinag-aralan ko ang libro.  (You may also use “inaral” in place of “pinag-aralan”, but it’s less often used)

3) Pinag-aralan na ko ng libro = The book already studied me. (Regardless of the sense, it should be “ako” (I/me) and not “ko”.  Rarely, “ako” may be written as “ ‘ko “, the apostrophe indicating the omission of the “a”.)

The above sentence will be correct if you will interchange the placements of “na” and “ko”.  “Pinag-aralan ko na ang libro” = I already studied the book.  The positioning of the “na” affects the status of “ako/’ko” and “ko” from doer to receiver of the action.

This may come out clearer if you convert the sentence to their “ay” forms.

Pinag-aralan na ko ng libro. -> Ang libro ay pinag-aralan na ako/‘ko. (The book studied already me) = The book already studied me.

Pinag-aralan ko na ang libro. -> Ang libro ay pinag-aralan ko na. (The book I studied already) = I already studied the book.

E: I studied the book = Pinag-aralan ko ang libro. (object focus)

4) Nanonood ako ng movie = I’m watching a movie.
E: I'm watching the movie = Pinanonood ko ang movie. (The “in” (pINanood) form of the verb focuses the action on the object, hence it becomes THE movie.  “Nanonood” focuses on the actor, so he can be watching just any movie. That’s the same thing that happened in the case of “pinag-aralan” and “nag-aral” earlier).

5) Nanood ako ng movie = I watched a movie.
E: I watched the movie = Pinanood ko ang movie.

You may want to look at this entry asked some time ago for a more specific explanation on this. http://www.italki.com/question/259760

1

Tama ba ako o mali?

1) Sinabi mo ang salitang "Manok" kanina.
E: You said ___ a little while ago (You said "Manok" a little while ago)

2) Inaral ko na ang libro.
E: I studied the book

3) Pinag-aralan ko ang "object focus" ng libro. 
E: I studied the book's object focus.

4) Nanunuod ako ng pelikula. 
E: I'm watching the movie

5) Nanuod ako ng pelikula.
E: I watched the movie

Salamat.