Max
Should parents encourage their children to take a part-time job? When asked about how to help teenage children prepare for their adult life, some people hold the opinion that parents should encourage them to take a part-time job when they study in school, while others think that children should focus on their study. I, however, strongly agree with the former opinion. And there are several reasons for it. To begin with, taking a part time job will help children learn the value of hard work. Before children take a job and do something to make money, they have been living off their parents, which mean they are dependent; they need to acquire money from their parents to live. Because they do not have any experience about how to make money, and whether it is easy or not easy to make money, most of them just take it for granted that their parents should give much money to them, and absolutely that is easy to spoil children. For instance, I have a friend Max, whose son is studying in university. Before taking this job, his son often spent money in an unwise way; but after doing some hard work in a private company, he found that it is not easy to make money, so he spends money in a reasonable and economical way. Also, he learned to appreciate the value of hard work. Second, taking a part-time job while studying in school could help children learn the ability of time management. Because children have to study as well as do a part-time work, they will learn to deal with study and work efficiently, instead of goofing around when they are available. Take my nephew John as an example. Before him taking a part-time job, he has spent a large amount of time playing a computer game in his dorm, and after spending enough time for that computer game, he was willing to do his assignments. And after his parents encouraged he to get a part-time job, he has not much time spending on those computer game. After that, he not only does well in his study, but also has done a good part-time job and made some money. Last but not least, a part-time job experience can provide valuable knowledge about the real world. Every child will find a job after they graduate; and obviously, it is better to learn something about the real world and the real workplace, because this experience is beneficial to their future performance of job seeking. In conclusion, taking a part-time job can help children learn to appreciate the value of hard work, ability of time management and more about the real work, so parents should encourage them to take a part-time job.