Robin c
Informal irish conversation... Dia duit. Is mise robin. Is as Boston dom. Bainfidh mise triaill as rud ar bith, ach breatha... Tà me veigeatoir. Go raibh maith agat as ucht do chuid ama. Slàn.
Jan 26, 2015 7:09 PM
2

Informal irish conversation...

Dia duit. Is mise Robin. Is as Boston dom. Bainfidh mise triaill as rud ar bith, ach breatha [I'm not sure what you mean here]... Is veigeatóir mé. Go raibh maith agat as ucht do chuid ama. Slán.

You were correct on your second attempt with "Is veigeatóir mé". "Tá" is only used to say where something or someone is, what something or someone is doing or to describe something or someone. If you want to say what (classification) or who (identification) something or someone is, then you need to use "is": "is mise Robin" (identification); "is máthair mé" (classification).

What were you trying to say with "ach breatha"? I can't make sense of it.

Informal irish conversation...

Dia duit. Is mise Robin. Is as Boston dom. Bainfidh mise triaill as rud ar bith, ach bia. Is veigeatóir mé. Go raibh maith agat as ucht do chuid ama. Slán.

I am still unsure of the preposition 'except'. I was trying to say, I like to try new things, except food.  Is there an equivalent expression for this in irish?  Would I say, seachas bia?  thank you.

Informal irish conversation...

Dia duit. Is mise robin. Is as Boston dom. Bainfidh mise triaill as rud ar bith, ach breatha... is veigeatoir me. Go raibh maith agat as ucht do chuid ama. Slàn.

so the verb to be...   If I want to say I am a mother- when would I use tà me... Vs. is...me?  Or am I completely wrong altogether?