Pavel
How to Take Care of Your Bike Disc Brake and Dics Brake Pads Do you have the disc brakes on your bike? How do you take care of them? Bike disc brakes are like car disc brakes, they need proper care. It is good to check their thickness when you ride your bike often. But, when you start to hear some strange noises then is time to check them immediately. Disc brakes must be clean of a grease and if they are not, they do not work properly! When there is just small amount of the grease you can still save your disc brake pads from being damaged. The only think which you need to do is to take a degreaser and clean your disc. When this do not work, then you can dismount your disc brake pads and using sandpaper remove a thin layer of your brake pad. This usually helps. But when your disc pads are too dirty and greasy, then you need to change them! Because nothing else will help your brakes to work again properly. This happened also to my disc pads, but I still do not know how it has happened. To change the brake pads is quite easy, maybe easier than to change the brake blocks on V-Brakes. Important thing is to dismount the wheel, degrease the dics and finally change the brake pads. Brake pads are usually fixed by a screw which you will find easily. You will probably need to use the Allen key from your set. When you dismount your brake pad you will see what happened to it. I.e. A breaking layer on my brake pad totally disappeared on one of two brake pads which the brake includes. It was caused because my brake stayed stuck on one side. So I had to use oil to repair it and it works fine now. The thing which I recommend after changing the brake pads is to ride up to a hill and to ride it down using your brake hard to warm it up. The brake disc will get used to the new pad and vice versa. The brake should work most effectively after that. Good luck! :) Pavel
Jan 27, 2015 10:21 AM
2

How to Take Care of Your Bike Disc Brake and Dics Brake Pads

Do you have the disc brakes on your bike? How do you take care of them? Bicycle disc brakes are like car disc brakes; they need proper care. It is good to check their thickness when you ride your bike often; but when you start to hear some strange noises, then it is time to check them immediately.

Disc brakes must be clean of a grease; and if they are not, they do not work properly! When there is just a small amount of grease, you can still save your disc brake pads from being damaged. The only thing which you need to do is to take a degreaser and clean your disc. When this does not work, then you can dismount your disc brake pads and using sandpaper, remove a thin layer of your brake pad. This usually helps.

However, when your disc pads are too dirty and greasy, then you need to change them! Because nothing else will help your brakes to work again properly. This also happened to my disc pads, although I still do not know how it has happened.

Changing brake pads is quite easy, maybe even easier than changing the brake blocks on V-Brakes. The important thing is to dismount the wheel, degrease the dics and finally change the brake pads. Brake pads are usually fixed by a screw, which you can find easily. You will probably need to use the Allen key from your set.

When you dismount your brake pads, you will see what has happened to them. I.e. A braking layer on my brake pad was totally worn out on one of two brake pads, which included the brake. This happened because my brake was stuck on one side. As a result, I had to use oil to repair it, and it works fine now.

After changing the brake pads, I recommend riding up and down a hill, pressing your brakes hard, to warm them up. The brake disc will get used to the new pad and vice versa and the brake should work more effectively after that.

Good luck! :)
Pavel