Wenting
developmental psychology 2 Today we learned baby's sensation and perception. First, we talked about five senses : vision, audition, smell, taste and touch. For vision, it is surprising that newborns are legally blind. For example, when they see at distance at 6m is roughly equivalent to the level of detail that an adult can see at 180m. Additionally, infants will gaze one thing and be difficult to move their gaze from that thing, which is called 'sticky fixation'. Infants born with immature visual function and they are maturing along their growth. For the audition, similar to vision, the finest sound they can hear is around four times louder than the finest sound that an adult can detect. Newborns also will orient their head towards the source of sounds like adult. Therefore, they have the ability to understand the multisensory events that stimulate more than one sensory system. The most interesting senses are the smell and taste. Newborns seem to have preference to sweetness because when they are fetus, they swallow the amniotic fluids which are sweet. Moreover, they prefer particular flavours of amniotic fluids which take on flavours from food eaten by mother. And this can translate into food preference once the child is born. In terms of touch, massage for infants can stimulate the release of hormones in the brain that regulate growth and metabolism. Why do humans have brain? Because we need to move and act on the environment. Like plants, they have no brain so they cannot move.