frosk
Introduction. I stopped learning English when I was 18, and for the last twelve years I haven't given it much thought at all, mainly because I my ability to understand both written and spoken English is good enough for my use. I don't think about language at all while reading novels and history books, and I usually watch tv-series without subtitles. It's when I try to express myself that I feel that.. resistance.. I can't find a better word for it... that comes with not being a native speaker. Part of the problem is that my active vocabulary isn't quite big enough. Also, - the only time I ever wrote an academic essay in English I really struggled. But how do you expand your active vocabulary? I don't know where to start, really. Moving to an English speaking country isn't an option. P.S: I know it might look like a question, but I wrote it to get corrections. Writing about myself was easier than writing about something else. P.S.2: This is quite intimidating. I'm nervous now.
Jan 28, 2015 12:20 PM

Introduction.

I stopped learning English when I was 18, and for the last twelve years I haven't given it much thought at all, mainly because I my ability to understand both written and spoken English is good enough for my use what I need it for. I don't think about the language at all while reading novels and history books, and I usually watch tv-series without subtitles.

It's when I try to express myself that I feel that.. resistance.. I can't find a better word for it... that comes with not being a native speaker. I can't think of a good word to sum up that feeling either. I would change the sentence slightly to something like:

However when I try to express myself I sometimes struggle to find the right words, which comes from not being a native speaker.

Part of the problem is that my active vocabulary isn't quite big enough.
Also, - the only time I ever wrote an academic essay in English I really struggled.

But how do you expand your active vocabulary?
I don't know where to start, really.
Moving to an English speaking country isn't an option.

P.S: I know it might look like a question, but I wrote it to get corrections. Writing about myself was easier than writing about something else.
P.S.2: This is quite intimidating. I'm nervous now.

I had a sudden realisation while reading your entry. While I do interact with people in (written) English every day, I neither write nor talk with native speakers anymore. That's a very good point. Thank you for your long reply :) Maybe I crould try translating something from Norwegian too. That way I can't avoid all the words and expressions I'm unfamiliar with.
No need for nervousness you write very well.I would think that the best way to expand vocabulary would be to maximize your exposure to the language,be it through reading,writing or listening.Nowadays there are wonderful lectures on Ted.com on any topic,great podcasts like radiolab and others and access to songs,videos and online newspapers or magazines on subjects that interest you.Of course if you don't have the option to go to an English speaking country that is not available.I think that when you read,even if you don't realize that you are thinking about language you may well be absorbing new words and sentence structures without being aware.I don't really think there is an alternative method.This however is all PASSIVE.In order to improve and get over what you describe as "resistance" the only alternative is to use your language ACTIVELY,both in speaking and in writing (reading and listening are passive skills,while speaking and writing are active).So find yourself a language partner who is intersting and you feel comfortable with and off you go!
Noticed an extra I before "my ability". Strike that.