Martin Suender
Couch surfing What do you think about couchsurfing? I mean if you travel through a new country, where do you want to sleep? A new way to find a place for a night is couchsurfing. With the internet you can find mates and if you have luck you are able to spend an night in his/her flat (am. engl.). I didn't do this for now but the basic idea isn't bad. Isn't it?
Jan 28, 2015 9:56 PM

Couch surfing

What do you think about couchsurfing?
I mean, if you travel through a new country, where do you want to sleep?
A new way to find a place for the night is couchsurfing.
With the internet you can find mates {<em>or</em> meet new friends} and if you are lucky you will be able to spend an night in his/her flat (am. engl.).
I haven't done this yet, but the basic idea isn't bad, is it?

Note:  In American English, we would say 'friends,' or even just 'people,' instead of 'mates.'  If you're learning a different variety of English, feel free to ignore this note.

February 3, 2015

Couch surfing

What do you think about couchsurfing?
A new way to find a place for a night is couchsurfing.
With the internet you can find mates and if you have luck you are able to spend an night in his/her flat (am. engl.).
I didn't do this for now I havn't done this yet but, the basic idea isn't bad. Isn't is it?

I come from Colombia, so, I'm not used to trusting strangers. Then, I would never stay a stranger's house. I would pay a hostal.
February 3, 2015
I used couchsurfing a few times when I traveled in northern Germany and Austria. Back when I lived in Los Angeles, I occasionally hosted Germans or Austrians so that I could practice my German. It's a great resource. However, too many people treat it like a free hotel service. If you live in a popular or well traveled area, you will tend to receive many generic, cut-and-paste requests. If you want to succeed in finding a host, you have to stand out from the horde of free room and board seekers. Make sure you read your prospective host's profile carefully and put some effort into writing your request, as well as your profile. Another neat feature of couchsurfing is the events section. It's very useful when you're in an unfamiliar city and looking for things to do and people to meet.
February 1, 2015