Pascale
Live fast. I read a French book called "Vivre vite". (Live fast) written by Philippe Besson. It's a novel about James Dean, an American actor. The book relates his short life. What it is interesting, it's that the story is told by the point of view of their relatives (mother, father, aunt...) and the people who met him (producer, actress, director, teachers..) and in few chapters by James Dean.The plot is lineary. It begins with his birth told by his mother and ends with his tragic death. This book is easy to read and I think that an intermediate French learner could understand most of it. I really appreciate reading this book but something disturb me when I was trough with it. The plot is based on real facts of the James Dean life but as a novel, it is mixed with things that come from the imagination of the author. Finally, you don't know what is true and what is imagined and I feel this quite uncomfortable. So, I suppose that now I have to read a serious biography about James Dean.
Jan 30, 2015 2:20 PM

Live fast.

I read a French book called "Vivre vite" (Live fast), written by Philippe Besson. It's a novel about James Dean, an American actor. The book relates the story of his short life. What is interesting is that the story is told from the point of view of his relatives (mother, father, aunt...) and the people who met him (producer, actress, director, teachers..), as well as by James Dean himself for a few chapters. The plot is linear. It begins with his birth, told by his mother, and ends with his tragic death. This book is easy to read and I think that an intermediate French learner could understand most of it. I really appreciate reading this book, but something disturbed me when I was through with it. The plot is based on the real facts of James Dean's life, but as a novel, it is mixed with situations or ideas from the imagination of the author. In the end, you don't know what is true and what is imagined, and this made me feel quite uncomfortable. So, I suppose that now I have to read a serious biography about James Dean.

Live fast.

I read a French book called "Vivre vite" (Live Fast), written by Philippe Besson. It's a novel about James Dean, an American actor. The book tells the story of his short life. What it is interesting, is that  the story is told from the point of view of his relatives (his mother, his father, his aunt...) and the people who met him (producers, actresses, directors, teachers..) and in few chapters by James Dean himself. The plot is linear. It begins with his birth, told by his mother, and ends with his tragic death. This book is easy to read and I think that an intermediate French learner could understand most of it. I really appreciated reading this book but something disturbed me when I was through with it. The plot is based on real facts of James Dean's life but as a novel, it is mixed with things that come from the imagination of the author. Finally, you don't know what is true and what is imagined and I felt quite uncomfortable about this. So, I suppose that now I have to read a serious biography about James Dean.

Or go see <em>Giant, </em>an immense epic movie about Texas with Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, and James Dean.