Jack Sakura
When is すきです appropriate? I've heard すきです can have numerous meanings from 'love' to 'like'. Is it appropriate when commenting on a friend's photo to show you like it? I've seen it used to say somebody likes apples but also to show genuine love towards another and I would not like to offend. ありがとうございます!
”すきです(好きです)” basicaliy means like or love. like or love sometimes mean "favorite"=”お気に入り(おきにいり).
I agree with them and I'd like to add one thing, the same happens when we translate "love", it means あいする but we use it as だいすき, for example, I would use だいすき for "I love coffee", "I love this song", "I love my friends" and あいする is principally used for whom you are into or dating.
Hi Jack! We recently started to use this expression during our Japanese classes and yes, we were using them to express our attitude to some objects, or actions - in everyday speech. I.e., it was OK to say スキーがすきです。 or even コーヒーがだいすきです (I adore coffee). At the same time, the same phrases can be used to express your feelings, but that will depend upon the situation. Our teacher is a native Japanese speaker, so I would think this usage is acceptable.
Thank you all very much for your replies. I think I'll have to be careful and more reserved when speaking Japanese as not to offend. In Engish I always say 'I love this' or 'I love that' simply meaning 'I like it'. I'm happy to learn the cultural differences so I can act appropriately. ありがとうございます
This is something I had trouble with for a while too. But what I have learned is that it all depends on the context: if you look at a picture and say すきです it is completely different than looking someone in the eye and saying すきです! But that's english too, so be careful about the context you use it in and you should be fine ^^