Lihyang
My point of view on real name and nickname. There are legal names used in official documents of their nationality and the name is just transcribed in roman alphabets on passport card, while there are names people use or claim they are their names but are not used for official documents or passport card—nickname. As for the first case, a person can give his full name with the given name and family name. The name on passport card name is the same sound as the name written in the person's national alphabet whether it's Chinese, Korean, or Japanese, the names are written to the passport card according to the sound of the names and official guideline to transcribe the very country's alphabet for example, pinyin or romanization. Some people use short names for their given name such as Pat for Patricia, Matt for Matthew, Dan for Daniel, Beth for Elizabeth, Tina for Christina. I think this case is a cross between legal name and nickname. As for the second case, non-native speakers with nationalities of non-native English speaking countries use English names for convenience in communicating with other countries such as Jackie Chan instead of pinyin name Cheng Long, Jay Chou instead of Zhou Jielun. Native speakers also use nicknames. Nicknames can be rules they live by, a character's name in a book, a foreign word they think sounds good, or a role in movies or dramas. Either has its own bright and dark side. If one uses their legal name, they can be more responsible for their statements and gain trust from people, but it the person can also happen to put himself in a pinch if he gives too much personal information. On the other hand, using nickname can give more freedom. Trust and freedom are both important. But when choosing between two, I consider trust highly above freedom in terms of business.
Jan 31, 2015 7:20 PM
1

My point of view on real names and nicknames.

There are legal names used in official documents stating their nationality and the name is just transcribed in Roman characters alphabets on a passport card, while there are names people use or claim they are their names but are not used for official documents or passport cards: nicknames.

As for the first case, a person can give his full name with the first given name and family name ["family name" can also be called "last name" in North American English, or "surname" in British English]. The name on a passport card name is the same sound as the name written in the person's national alphabet whether it's Chinese, Korean, or Japanese, the names are written on to the passport card according to the sound of the names and official guidelines to transcribe that the very country's alphabet - for example, pinyin or Romanization characters.

Some people use abbreviated short names for their given name such as Pat for Patricia, Matt for Matthew, Dan for Daniel, Beth for Elizabeth, Tina for Christina. I view think this case is as a cross between the legal name and nickname.

As for the second case, non-native speakers coming from non-English speaking countries  with nationalities of non-native English speaking countries use English names for convenience in communicating with people from other countries, such as Jackie Chan instead of pinyin name Cheng Long, and Jay Chou instead of Zhou Jielun. Native speakers also use nicknames. Nicknames can be rules they live by, a character's name in a book, a foreign word they think sounds good, or a character role in a movie or playdramas.

Either one has its own advantages and disadvantagesbright and dark side. If one uses their legal name, they can be seen as more credible responsible for their statements and gain trust from people, but they can also happen to put themselves in a difficult situation pinch if they gives too much personal information. On the other hand, using a nickname can give more freedom. Trust and freedom are both important. But when choosing between two, I place consider trust highly above freedom in terms of its application in business.