Carlos Suárez
The Goalkeeper This is the story of a professional footballer, who played in the Spanish League from 1990 to 1996, and became very popular. His name was Wilfred and he was from Nigeria. Wilfred began to play football in his country, where he became a professional player when he was only sixteen. Then he went to Britain, where he played for a team called Brentford. There he wasn't very lucky, so eventually he accepted an offer to play in the Spanish League. He was signed up by a very modest club called Rayo Vallecano, in Madrid. When he arrived, the team was playing in the Second Division, but soon, thanks mainly to his amazing performances, they got promoted to the First Division. In 1993, he prevented Real Madrid from winning the title after making an amazing performance. During that game he had already saved a lot of shots, but in the last minutes he was even able to save a penalty. He played for his national team too, and took part in the 1994 World Cup in the United States, where they made their best performance ever. According to those who knew him well, Wilfred was essentially a good, affectionate person; he was always smiling. He would have liked to play for Real Madrid, as he was a fan of this club; that was his secret. Rayo Vallecano's fans adored him and he loved the fans and the town. Unfortunately, when he gave up playing football, his life was not easy. He was bankrupt trying to help his wife, who suffered from cancer, but it was in vain. Additionally, he got seriously ill and, a few days ago, he died of cancer at the age of 48. God rest his soul.
Jan 31, 2015 10:21 PM

The Goalkeeper

This is the story of a professional footballer, who played in the Spanish League from 1990 to 1996, and became very popular. His name was Wilfred and he was from Nigeria. Wilfred began to play football in his country, where he became a professional player when he was only sixteen. Then he went to Britain, where he played for a team called Brentford. There he wasn't very lucky, so eventually he accepted an offer to play in the Spanish League. He was signed up by a very modest club called Rayo Vallecano, in Madrid. When he arrived, the team was playing in the Second Division, but soon, thanks mainly to his amazing performances, they got promoted to the First Division. In 1993, he prevented Real Madrid from winning the title after making an amazing performance. During that game he had already saved a lot of shots, but in the last minutes he was even able to save a penalty. He played for his national team too, and took part in the 1994 World Cup in the United States, where they made their best performance ever.
According to those who knew him well, Wilfred was essentially a good, affectionate person; he was always smiling. He would have liked to play for Real Madrid, as he was a fan of this that club; that was his secret. Rayo Vallecano's fans adored him and he loved the fans and the town.
Unfortunately, when he gave up playing football, his life was not easy. He was went bankrupt trying to help his wife, who suffered from cancer, but it was in vain. Additionally, he got seriously ill and, a few days ago, he died of cancer at the age of 48. God rest his soul.

Interesting story, and very well written.

In British English, it's perfectly OK to use the term "footballer" to refer to a football (soccer) player. In <em>fútbol americano</em>, they are called football players.

It's also OK, and very common, to say "save a penalty" as a short version of "save a penalty kick". The term "penalty shot" is also grammatically correct but is not common in British English.

February 1, 2015

Ommissions

Additions

The Goalkeeper

This is the story of a professional footballer player, who played in the Spanish League from 1990 to 1996, and became very popular. His name was Wilfred and he was from Nigeria. Wilfred began to play football in his country, where he became a professional player when he was only sixteen. Then he went to Britain, where he played for a team called Brentford. There he wasn't very lucky, so eventually he accepted an offer to play in the Spanish League. He was signed up by a very modest club called Rayo Vallecano, in Madrid. When he arrived, the team was playing in the Second Division, but soon, thanks mainly to his amazing performances, they got promoted to the First Division. In 1993, he prevented Real Madrid from winning the title after making having an amazing performance. During that game he had already saved a lot of shots, but in the last minutes he was even able to save a penalty shot. He played for his national team too, and took part in the 1994 World Cup in the United States, where they made had their best performance ever.
According to those who knew him well, Wilfred was essentially a good, affectionate person; he was always smiling. He would have liked to play for Real Madrid, as he was a fan of this club; that was his secret. Rayo Vallecano's fans adored him, and he loved the fans and the town.
Unfortunately, when he gave up playing football, his life was not easy. He was went bankrupt trying to help his wife, who suffered from cancer, but it was in vain. Additionally, he got seriously ill and, a few days ago, he died of cancer at the age of 48. God rest his soul.

Regarding the content - this is very said indeed, this just goes to show that sometimes even professional athletes can struggle with finances.

Your English is pretty good here, there aren't a lot of changes to make, and none of what you wrote was grammatically incorrect - they were mostly just stylistic changes that I was suggesting. Great job!