Karoline
My first article. Hello everyone! Well, this is the first time that I'm writing something in the notebook. The following article is my first one and I did it because my English teacher requested me. I would be glad if you could correct my mistakes, grammar and anything else which may be wrong. I know it's a little long but I'm counting on you =). Thanks in advance. Theme: Culture - Saint Patrick’s Day. On March 17th , thousands of people from a lot of countries around the world, especially in Ireland, go out at the streets, in order to celebrate the Saint Patrick’s Day. Wearing green clothing, adornments and clovers, folks that follow this historic icon who was so remarkable, show their faith and godliness. But how did it begin? According to some records, a man, named as Patrick, was born in Britain, son of a noble family, at the beginning of 4th century. When he was sixteen, he was kidnapped and took to Ireland, in vicinity of County Mayo and stayed there for six years. Then he started to believe in God, because theretofore he considered himself as a pagan person. When he returned to his homeland he followed the sacred path and became a missionary to go to Ireland and convert unhallowed people to the Catholic faith. The value attached to the image of this man is not the historical details, but the inspiration of a man who could return to his native country after being a slave as a child, in order to transmit the Christ’s message. After 30 years as a missionary, he died on March 17th , A.D. 461 and this is why the Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated on that date. Symbols like the three-leaf clover (or shamrock) are used in this holiday because some people say that Saint Patrick used it to represent the Holy Trinity to the pagans but there are others symbols whose history is not so nice. For example the “leprachauns” or elf that probably came from Celtic folklore, which was filled with fairies, tiny men and small women who could use their magical powers to serve the devil. The first "Saint Patrick's Festival" happened on 27th March 1997. In 1999,it became a three-day event, and in 2000 it was a four-day event. In 2006, the festival lasted 10 days and nowadays lasts 5 days. This holiday is so important because it doesn’t happen only in Ireland but also in many English speakers countries and no speakers English countries too (like Mexico and Argentina), besides, it joins distinct people around a single purpose: To celebrate Saint Patrick’s life and achievements
Feb 1, 2015 2:02 AM
1

My first article.

Hello everyone! Well, this is the first time that I'm writing something in the notebook. The following article is my first one and I did it because my English teacher requested it of me. I would be glad if you could correct my mistakes, grammar and anything else which may be wrong. I know it's a little long but I'm counting on you =). Thanks in advance.

Theme: Culture

- Saint Patrick’s Day.
On March 17th , thousands of people from a lot of countries around the world, especially in Ireland, go out on the streets, in order to celebrate the Saint Patrick’s Day. Wearing green clothing, accessories and clovers, folks that follow this historic icon who was so remarkable, show their faith and godliness. But how did it begin?

According to some records, a man named as Patrick was born in Britain, the son of a noble family, at the beginning of the fourth century. When he was sixteen, he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland, in the vicinity of County Mayo, and stayed there for six years. Then he started to believe in God, because Before his kidnapping he considered himself as a pagan person but after that he started to believe in the Christian god . When he returned to his homeland he followed the sacred path and became a missionary to go to Ireland, and converting unhallowed people to the Catholic faith. The value attached to the image of this man is not the historical details, but the inspiration of a man who could return to that country after being a slave there as a child, in order to transmit the Christ’s message. After 30 years as a missionary, he died on March 17th, 461 A.D., and this is why the Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated on that date.

Symbols like the three-leaf clover (or shamrock) are used in this holiday because some people say that Saint Patrick used it to represent the Holy Trinity to the pagans but there are other symbols whose history is not so nice. For example the “leprachauns” or elves that probably came from Celtic folklore, which was filled with fairies, tiny men and small women who could use their magical powers to serve the devil.

The first "Saint Patrick's Festival" happened on 27th March 1997. In 1999,it became a three-day event, and in 2000 it was a four-day event. In 2006, the festival lasted 10 days and nowadays it lasts 5 days. This holiday is so important because it doesn’t happen only in Ireland, but also in many English-speaking countries and no speakers English also in countries with few English speakers, like Mexico and Argentina.* Besides, it joins distinct people around a single purpose: To celebrate Saint Patrick’s life and achievements.

*There are many, many English speakers in Mexico and Argentina. I once had a Spanish teacher named Cecilia Fields, who came from the "Irish quarter" in Buenos Aires. She had red hair and green eyes. We figured out that our anscestors of 150 years ago probably lived within a few miles of each other.

There are also many more people of Irish descent living in the US than in Ireland.