Bi Filof
A spray turns any surface into a solar power plaque. Is this possible? Scientists have been working almost a decade on a system that could turns any type of surface into a solar power plaque. A team of investigators from the University of Sheffield (United Kingdom) has created spray paint with this innovative and interesting ability. Experts got their aim due to a rocky commonly known as 'perovskita', a rare mineral from Earth crust that is able to absorb light. Perovskita (CaTiO3) is made of calcium titanate and was discovered in 1839 by Gustav Rose. In spite of being found over 150 years ago, its use in scientific world is relatively recent. This mineral will soon replace the traditional solar power plaques semiconductors of silicon. It's easier and cheaper to produce this fine plaque of barely 1 micrometre, compared to silicon plaque of 180 micrometres. The perovskita layer has a twenty percent of effectiveness in spray. Scientists take for granted that this product will be popular in few years and its use will allow the fabrication of solar plaques everywhere, like on cars and mobile phones, which are less suitable to place traditional solar plaques. Thank you ;)
Feb 1, 2015 10:55 AM

A spray that turns any surface into a solar power plaque panel [Photo Voltaic Cell=PVC]. Is this possible?

Scientists have been working for almost a decade on a system that could turns any type of surface into a solar power plaque panel. A team of investigators[researchers] from the University of Sheffield (United Kingdom) has created a spray paint with this innovative and interesting ability.

Experts got their aim made this breakthrough due to a rocky material commonly known as 'perovskita', it is a rare mineral from the Earth's crust that is able to absorb light. Perovskita (CaTiO3) is made of calcium titanate and was discovered in 1839 by Gustav Rose. In spite of being found over 150 years ago, its use in the scientific world is relatively recent.
This mineral will soon replace the traditional solar power plaques panels made using semiconductors of silicon. It's easier and cheaper to produce this fine plaque wafer of barely 1 micrometre, compared to a silicon plaque wafer of 180 micrometres. The perovskita layer has a twenty percent of effectiveness in spray. [Twenty percent of the sprayed perovskita layer is effective.]

Scientists take for granted[have concluded] that this product will be popular in a few years and its use will allow the fabrication of solar plaques panels everywhere, like even on cars and mobile phones, which are less suitable to place fit traditional solar plaques panels.

Thank you ;)

This is very interesting, Bianca.

In the photo it appears to change opacity? This would be great for photochromatic lenses and even window glass.

Sheffield is not far from where I live, I feel I must read more on this development.

We used to call cells that produced electricity from sunlight "solar cells" but this has been also used for other panels that make use of solar energy for heat.

Now the term "Photo Voltaic Cell" is specifically for panels that convert solar energy to electricity.

Den

February 1, 2015