Araceli
feelings sentences I'd like to know if I'm using theses adjectives in a good context: scornful, tender, numb, lethargic and apprehensive - This girl is so scornful, she always tries to us feel guilty of her problems. - English men are very tender... they leave women pass through the door first. - I felt numb when I found out my best friend is going out with my exboyfriend. - I woke up lethargic, today I won't go to the gym. - My brother is apprenhensive for knowing his final school marks. Thank you very much for your help!!!
Feb 1, 2015 11:28 PM

feelings sentences

I'd like to know if I'm using theses adjectives in a good context:

scornful, tender, numb, lethargic and apprehensive

- This girl is so scornful, she always tries to us feel guilty of her problems.

Scornful is not correctly used here, being scornful is looking down on someone. Here are a couple of examples:

The girl gave us a scornful look because we could not speak the native language.

After hearing too many insults, the woman left her boyfriend when she realized how scornful he was. 

- English men are very tender... they leave let women pass through the door first.

Tenderness implies compassion or gentleness. For example you could describe a man’s "tender touch” or say “a woman smiled tenderly at her child.”  In your example of holding the door, “polite" or “respectful" would be a better word choice.
Tender is also often used for food that is cut into easily, when your knife slides into a good cut of meat you can say it is "tender". Another common usage is to describe pain, “my bruised foot feels tender when I stand up.”

- I felt numb when I found out my best friend is going out with my exboyfriend.

"Numb" is used perfectly here to describe a person who is in shock. 

- I woke up feeling lethargic today, I won't go to the gym.

Good use of the word "lethargic" as David previously mentioned, I would add the word "feeling" and move the word "today" either to the end of the sentence or before the comma. 

- My brother is apprenhensive for knowing his final school marks.

Apprehensive is used well here, though I would change the word "knowing". One suggestion is: "My brother is apprehensive in finding out his final school marks". 

Thank you very much for your help!!! Nice job with these, hope this helped =) 

Feelings sentences

I’d like to know if I’m using these adjectives in the proper context:

scornful, tender, numb, lethargic, and apprehensive.

-That girl is so scornful; she ridicules us about our problems. <em>(To treat someone with scorn is to treat them with contempt or disrespect.) </em>

That girl is so self-centered; she always tries to make us feel guilty about her problems.

-Englishmen are very tender; they bring flowers when their partners are upset. <em>(Used in this way, tender is more personal and usually directed at a loved one.)</em>

<em>
</em>

Englishmen are very polite; they let women pass through the door first.

-I felt numb when I found out my best friend is going out with my ex-boyfriend.

-I woke up feeling lethargic; I won’t go to the gym today. <em>(You can do without the word "feeling" but it's more common in the US to use it in this context. You could also say "I woke up sluggish; I won't go to the gym today.") </em>

-My brother is apprehensive about getting his final school marks. <em>(You can also say "My brother is apprehensive about seeing his final school marks." "Knowing" is OK but wouldn't typically be used.) </em>

Thank you very much for your help!!!

:=)