Dušan
Cases in Slovak Niekto je otcom toho chlapca - means - Someone is a father to that boy. ... As I see it, "otcom" is in Instrumental, "chlapca" is in Acusative, but I don't know in what case is personal pronoun "toho", and I would like to see how that personal pronoun changes throughout cases in Slovak.
Feb 7, 2015 1:46 PM
Actually, "chlapca" in this sentence is in the genitive case, not accusative. "toho" is not a pronoun, but a demonstrative adjective in the genitive case (to match the case of the noun it modifies, as Melinda said). The correct, more literal translation is "of that boy." "to that boy" is not a bad translation, but it cause confusion with the case in Slovak. Melinda's listing of the other case forms of ten is accurate as I know them. Dennis

Cases in Slovak

Niekto je otcom toho chlapca - means - Someone is a father to that boy.
... As I see it, "otcom" is in Instrumental, "chlapca" is in Acusative, but I don't know in what case is personal pronoun "toho", and I would like to see how that personal pronoun changes throughout cases in Slovak.

N: ten chlapec

G: (od) toho chlapca

D: tomu chlapcovi

A: toho chlapca

L: (o) tom chlapcovi

I: (s) tym chlapcom

its just a coinsidence that G and A have the same form. In feminin it wouldnt be the same

Hi Dusan. In Svk, all the pronouns or adjectives that are extending the noun Must be in the same case as the noun. Its called Zhoda or Agreement. So you need to think about the case if you know that Chlapca is accusative Toho is also :)
Thanks on a comment Lukasz. :)
Dear Dušan, I am learning both Slovak and Serbian at University and as far as I know this is one of the difference between Slovak and Serbian. In this case particular example you can not say ith with nominative or dative.