Xiatong
Visit ancestor's grave Today is January fifth in Chinese Calendar. As a tradition of my hometown, we visited our ancestors’ graves. Because the graveyard is in the suburbs, my parents and I got up at 6 in the morning. On the way to the graveyard, We bought some desserts, firecrackers, and several piles of “hell money”, which is a type of fake money we believe that our ancestors use in nether world. The narrow highway was jammed with cars, and when we finally got to the graveyard, it was full of people who were worshiping their ancestors. Since the Cultural Revolution, the formal worship has long gone; however, there are still a couple of steps. First, we weeded and cleaned the grave. Then we put desserts in front of the tombstone, and began to burn the “hell money”, meanwhile, we were supposed to talk to our passing ancestors as if they were in front of us. Before we left, we lighted the firecracker. We managed arriving my grandfather’s house at lunch time. At there, we had a great meal with other family members and talked about old interesting stories of the passing ones, as we did every year. In the afternoon, I kicked shuttlecock with my cousins in the neighborhood. We come back home after dinner, and now I am here writing down my whole day. Do I believe in the whole worship thing? No, but I love the idea of always remembering our ancestors. Someone said that people die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time. I guess by this way our ancestors live a long and prosper life.
Feb 27, 2015 10:24 AM