Hilary Metcalf
カンベラ オオストラリア たいしょくしていましたまえにカンベラにすでいました。カンベラはオオストラリアのしゅとです。そしてカンベラは奈良のしまいとしです。 I hope this says Before I retired I lived in Canberra. Canberra is the capital of Australia. It is also a sister city to Nara. all corrections/advice on improving this would be very welcome. ありがとうございます
1

キャンベラ オーストラリア

退職する前にキャンベラに住んでいました。キャンベラはオーストラリアの首都です。キャンベラは奈良の姉妹都市です。

I hope this says

Before I retired I lived in Canberra. Canberra is the capital of Australia. It is also a sister city to Nara.

all corrections/advice on improving this would be very welcome.

ありがとうございます

I am new to italki Ryoko and am amazed at how helpful people are and what a wonderful resource this is. If I can help you with your English, please let me know.
I'm glad that you've understood. My English isn't very good yet but I know that each language has its own grammar, ways to say, etc. please enjoy learning and every question is welcome. Best.
Oh yes, I understood that I needed to use すんでいました perfectly well - and I just realised I made a mistake in my typing and left out the ん originally. No when I said I didn't realise about the verb tense I meant using the plain present form before 前に。And needing to use the past tense after あとeven when talking about the future - that's what I hadn't realised. Thank you for pointing it out.
Didn't you understand about the form change of すむ to すんで? You have to remember the conjugations like we did in English, like "think --> thought, have --> had". (They aren't "thinked/haved").