Misa
3/5/2015 The greatest ancient Egypt, Greek Scholars and Scientists had long discovered that the earth was round. During that time, it was generally believed that the earth was flat. When the ships reached the edge of the world and it would be plunged into the fearful waterfalls and swallowed by the great abyss beneath. The Ocean was filled with sea monsters large enough to devour the ships. Therefore it is not difficult to imagine how brave the sailors were during Columbus’s time to sail toward the edge of the world. There were a lot of observations purported that the Earth was actually round. One of it was the illuminated portion of the moon could be lit by the sunlight, and the shadow of the Earth that casted on the surface of the Moon was curved and shaped like a disc. This shown that the Earth is not flat. Another evidence that purported this idea was that when a ship was sailing further and further, it is not only shrink in size, the body of the ship was also sink into the horizon. Even though there were a lot of observations shown that the Earth was round, however it was not easy to make majority of people accepted the idea. For them, it was safer and simpler to believe what was deemed truth by the religion.