"Don't you know who I am?" This is a very common question used by many Colombians when it comes to trying to threaten other people. Those who ask such question mean that they are very important people or that they are friends with important people like celebirities and politicians in order to avoid dealing with the police or getting a good place in a restaurant, and so on. Last Sunday, a 29 year old spolit brat played a role in a disgraceful incident. This guy refused to pay a taxi driver for his service. Then, the taxi driver called the police and the police arrived at the place where the taxi was parked in front of a bar. The cops asked the guy named Nicolas Gaviria to pay the taxi service. The reaction from this guy was starting to insult the cops, he claimed to be the nephew of former President Cesar Gaviria. Then, he threatened the cops to transfer them to the province of Choco (the poorest province in Colombia), to kill their parents, and yelled at them all kind of insults and swear words. The incident was recorded on a phone, and the video was posted on the social networks. The video went viral quickly, and former President Gaviria stated that this guy is not his nephew and has never seen him in his life. This guy Nicolas never apologized after mistreating the cops and yelled at them "Don't you know who I am. I'm going to make you transfer to Choco. You are just a bunch of poor and miserable cops". This is not the first time people using this infamous question have been recorded. Some years ago, a congressman refused to take an alcohol test on a road in Barranquilla. He yelled at the cops "I'm Congresman Jairo Merlano. 50,000 people voted for me. I don't have to take an alcohol test because I'm a senator." This senator was dismissed because of this incident. And, now there is a law named "Ley Merlano" which says that no one is allowed to refuse to take an alcohol test on the roads.

"Don't you know who I am?"

This is a very common question used by many Colombians when it comes to trying to threatening other people. For those who ask such questions, it means that they are very important people or that they are friends with important people like celebirities and politicians. They use the phrase in order to avoid dealing with the police or to getting get a good place in a restaurant, and so on.
Last Sunday, a 29 year old spoilled brat played a role in a disgraceful incident. This guy refused to pay a taxi driver for his service. Then, the taxi driver called the police and the police arrived at the place where the taxi was parked in front of a bar. The cops asked the guy named Nicolas Gaviria to pay the taxi service. The reaction from this guy was to start insulting the cops. He claimed to be the nephew of former President Cesar Gaviria. Then, he threatened the cops to transfer them to the province of Choco (the poorest province in Colombia), to kill their parents, and yelled at them all kind of insults and swear words. The incident was recorded on a phone, and the video was posted on the social networks. The video went viral quickly, and former President Gaviria stated that this guy was not his nephew and he had never seen him in his life. This guy Nicolas never apologized after mistreating the cops and yelling at them, "Don't you know who I am? I'm going to make you transfer you to Choco. You are just a bunch of poor and miserable cops".
This is not the first time people using this infamous phrase have been recorded. Some years ago, a congressman refused to take an alcohol test on a road in Barranquilla. He yelled at the cops "I'm Congresman Jairo Merlano! 50,000 people voted for me. I don't have to take an alcohol test because I'm a senator." This senator was dismissed because of this incident. And, now there is a law named "Ley Merlano" which says that no one is allowed to refuse to take an alcohol test on the road.

"Don't you know who I am?"

This is a very common question used by many Colombians when it comes to trying to threaten other people. Those who ask such questions mean that they are very important people or that they are friends with important people like celebrities and politicians in order to avoid dealing with the police or getting a good place in a restaurant, and so on.
Last Sunday, a 29 year old spoilt brat played a role/was involved in a disgraceful incident. This guy refused to pay a taxi driver for his service. Then, the taxi driver called the police and the police arrived at the place where the taxi was parked in front of a bar. The cops asked the guy named Nicolas Gaviria to pay the taxi service. The reaction from this guy was starting to insult the cops/The guy's reaction was to insult the cops*, he claimed to be the nephew of former President Cesar Gaviria. Then, he threatened the cops to transfer them to the province of Choco (the poorest province in Colombia), to kill their parents, and yelled at them all kind of insults and swear words. The incident was recorded on a phone, and the video was posted on the social networks. The video went viral quickly, and former President Gaviria stated that this guy is not his nephew and has never seen him in his life. This guy Nicolas never apologized after mistreating the cops and yelling at them "Don't you know who I am. I'm going to make you transfer to Choco. You are just a bunch of poor and miserable cops".
This is not the first time people using this infamous question have been recorded. Some years ago, a congressman refused to take an alcohol test on a road in Barranquilla. He yelled at the cops "I'm Congresman Jairo Merlano. 50,000 people voted for me. I don't have to take an alcohol test because I'm a senator." This senator was dismissed because of this incident. And, now there is a law named "Ley Merlano" which says that no one is allowed to refuse to take an alcohol test on the roads.

* I altered this sentence a bit because although I understood it after reading it a second time, it can sound like 'the reaction' is the subject of the sentence when it is really 'the guy' who is the subject (I think, at least!)

Likewise in Indonesia (see 0:04 @ https://youtu.be/bkDva4KUQfo ) & China ( http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/my-dad-is-li-gang-%E6%88%91%E7%88%B8%E6%98%AF%E6%9D%8E%E5%88%9A )