Gizem
这 本 书 我 只 看 了 一半 。 There is something weird with chinese grammar. I really don't understand what comes first, what comes later..bla bla. For example I came across with this sentence "这 本 书 我 只 看 了 一半 " (I have only read half of this book) and I was wondering would it be true if I say; - 我 只 看这 本 书一半 了 or - 我 只 看这 本 书的一半 了 ?? Is there any rule for the correct order for chinese grammar
2

这 本 书 我 只 看 了 一半 。

There is something weird with chinese grammar. I really don't understand what comes first, what comes later..bla bla. For example I came across with this sentence "这 本 书 我 只 看 了 一半 " (I have only read half of this book)
and I was wondering would it be true if I say;

- 我 只 看(了)这 本 书(的)一半 。 

or

- 我 只 看这 本 书的一半 了

?? Is there any rule for the correct order for chinese grammar

In Chinese grammar the  auxiliary words “着“ ”了“ ”过“ express tense.

”着“stands for  the present continuous tense, the past continuous tense,and the future continuous tense.the present perfect continuous tense,the past perfect continuous tense,the future perfect continuous tense,the past future perfect continuous tense.All the continuous tenses are expressed by the word "着”.

”了“stands for  the simple past tense.

”过“stands for  the present perfect tense, the past perfect tense, the future perfect tense.

The tense is expressed by changing the words style in English,but by adding auxiliary words after verbs.

Hope the words do help to you.

2

这本书我只看了一半。It is a complicated sentece for grama purpose, lets make life easier.

1.我看书。I read book.

2.我看了书。I have read book.

了 emphasize you have completed the action of 看 reading.

3.我看了这本书。I have read  this book

这本 is 'this' object complement for object 书, specifying it is 'this' book not any book else.

4.我看了这本书的一半。I have read half of this book

Here 一半 is 'half of' adjective of 书, 一半的这本书。

5. 我只看了这本书的一半。 I have only read half of this book. 

Only here is adverbial of the action 看。

6. 这本书我只看了一半。 

In chinese it is the special case for ojective forward to the first place of sentence, in order to emphensize the objective 书。

1

1.我只看这本书的一半了

2.我只看了这本书的一半。

The different order you put 了 makes different meaning.

1. you emphensize the event of 这本书的一半, you only want to read half of the book and you may not want to continue to read the rest

2. You emphensize you have completed the action of 看, you have completed to read the half of the book and you may be interest in reading the rest.

How to use 了 is difficult part in chinese grama, if you have any questions please post here or email me individuially I am always here to help you

加油↖(^ω^)↗

given different context, the different subject it will be. the subject is your topic, it can be a performer of an action, it can also be the part that received the action. as to your sentence ---- 我 as the subject: 我 只 看了 这本书的一半。 这本书as the subject: 这本书 我 只看了 一半。 even 这本书 我 看了 只有一半。

这 本 书 我 只 看 了 一半 。

- 我 只 看这 本 书一半 了

or

- 我 只 看这 本 书的一半 了

If I were you, I would like to write like  <font style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">this book I have read in a half of chapter</font>, because sometimes even if grammar is corrective in the sentence but still not smoothly. There are so many ways to make a sentence in your articles; however, what is better level to make a perfect as well as fluent sentence that depends upon your language level.

To put if more clearly, <font face="Thread-00001c98-Id-00000009">I would write like this 我 只 看这 本 书一半的章节 that sounds more smoothly I can clarify of what exactly I express.</font>