Hediyeh East
A Critique of "Chinese Humanism" (Part Two) Thus they gorge ambrosia like starving swines, lavish fortunes on material pursuit. They think they love their families, but what they leave with their beloved ones are nothing but money; they fear that they would be abandoned in this society so they choose to get married; they fear that no one would look after them in old age, so they choose to procreate; they also fear that honesty would cause decrease in their fortunes, so they choose to cheat. However, love, beauty, truth, courage and rectitude, these are the moral fibers in any state that boasts its civilization, which are in short supply in China since the only important matter in these whole shebang is enjoyment. The whole-hearted pursuit of a simple life of enjoyment is like liquor debauching a savant, perplexing her sense of direction. Furthermore, it is this dissipated indulgence that overturned this greatest empire of the by-gone age, which led its people massacred by Japanese, its heirlooms plundered by British, its cultural heritage burnt by French, its women raped and children enslaved. It is this indulgence that breeds the unrealistic narcissism of China's revival, that powders up its deep-rooted sinister seeds.
I think the alternative life purpose might be simply improving ourselves and the world around us. Be the conscious co-creators. Do what brings us happiness and benefits society as a whole. I believe, once the person chooses to be driven by their inner voice of conscience and not their ego, these two become mutually interrelated. No matter how simple and obvious it may sound, I believe it’s quite a deep philosophical concept. Of course you can’t make everyone embrace it overnight, but what we can do right now is start living according to our inner voice of conscience, improving our level of morality, as well as doing good to the world and people around us. Obviously one person cannot change the whole world, yet the more moral and active one becomes, the more people around he/she affects. Hence, fulfilling his/her life purpose. The more people embrace it in their daily life, the quicker the idea becomes reality. There’s a lot more can be added and clarified, yet the concept is concrete. What do you think?
@Sasha: I think one reason why people are struggling in this mundane world is that they believe life has a certain purpose, like a train heading to a destination. But the ideology that takes roots in one nation is based on the inertia of its historical development, whose results could be obviously categorized though the cultral backgrounds are different, namely, social strata and the sense of gratification derived from its so-called superiority. If people forsake the pursuit of fame or the feeling of being accepted and recognized, thus life's burden could be much lighter. So I think the alternative would be trying not to attach any purpose to life itself. But i dont know whether my opinion would change after five or ten years :))) What is your idea?
As I see it, the solution to the problem would be to propose an alternative life purpose for the society to embrace. And to live your own life according to this purpose, providing a live example for those around you and those whom you influence in one way or another. What do you think the alternative life purpose might be? I have an idea, but I'd like to know what you think.
What your treatise recall in my mind is that all those traditional mornal fibers should afford to be suspected, or it won't be in the position it was. That's kind of something we lack due to the span or privilege we once owned, namely our advantage of feudal society over their thrall society indeed. Perhaps it's the longtime inertia of historic mightiness that devastate our capability to question, to cerebrate and to judge.Maybe it's the longtime savageness that beared their determined revolt and complete revolution,turning their social ideology inside out. However, it seems still not enough for us to wake up even though we have suffered that much from the age of empires. Such a tragedy is the outcoming that we ought to hold it that with geat power and insight come the great responsibility and measures for the nation. What kind of opportunity does the people have if the refered persons merely stand by ,keep nagging and act nothing. As long as we continue to be physically indifferent, what we should really stand for will be truly abandoned by the historical eraser , eventually.