Anastasia
to rain cats and dogs Does the phrase "to rain cats and dogs" exist? And does anybody use it? I have found it in one book in English and the explanation was "to rain heavily".
1

to rain cats and dogs

Does the phrase "to rain cats and dogs" exist? And does anybody use it? I have found it in one book in English and the explanation was "to rain heavily".

It is used on occasions but not in everyday situations. .. its raining cats and dogs can be said during heavy rain as you stated 

Sure it exists and many people use it. There is a myth/truth that it once happened sometime in the Middle Ages in England. At least one chronicler of the age drew an illustration.
It is an idiom used in the UK. "It's raining cats and dogs" meaning it is raining hard. "Bucketing it down", etc... The French have "il pleut des cordes".
Hi there - it does exist as an idiom; you're correct - it refers to a downpour, unrelenting rain. I don't hear it much in Massachusetts, but I'm sure this varies state by state, region by region. To my ear it sounds a bit old-fashioned, but opinions on this will vary greatly from person to person. You will definitely be understood if you say it! -Tom
Idiom.