Norberto108
You belong ... What is the difference between You belong to me. and You belong with me ?
Very nice Rick. Thanks a lot.
Yes Norberto, you are correct. There are love songs which use the phrase "You belong to me", but that is used in a very specific context, and you have to know when it is appropriate to say it. For example, you wouldn't tell someone that you just met that she or he belonged to you. In English, it is usually only okay to say "You belong to me" to an adult when both people are in love with each other and they are not in a relationship with anyone else. This is an excellent question, but it is a very tricky one. There is no rule to using this phrase that is going to work 100% of the time. This phrase is what we call a "loaded phrase" or "loaded language" in English, which means that there is a lot of emotion involved, both for the person speaking and the person listening. So, it's something that you have to "feel right" to say, and the other person has to "feel right" hearing it. Hopefully that helps a little more.
i would*
Hi Rick, thank you for your toughts. I will never realize that, but i believe i listened love songs with You Belong to Me phrases. Am i right ?
Hi Norberto. "You belong with me" is what you say to a spouse, a partner, or someone you are in love with. It means that you see the other person as your equal...you stand side by side, you care about them and you are the same. In English, you belong to me is what you might say to a child, because the child is not your partner. The child is not your equal. Normally you should not use the phrase "You belong to me" when speaking to an adult in English, because it might sound disrespectful...like the adult is your property.