Patty1219
History's Joke The first poet who came to China is none but Longfellow among a great number of great poets in Europe. The first poem of Longfellow's is none but A Psalm of Life among his poems of good quality or better one. This would be a mockery and provocation literary comunication carried out to professors of literature and critics! There are numerous unreasonable cases, to be more specific, which is incompatible with the ideals and theories of scholars. It is compatible with what David Hume refered to the confict between to be and outght to be. In historical course, things are going the way which is making fool of or playing a trick on us and demolishing what we have finalized and destorying our blueprint, left our rigorous theoretical systems which are supposed to be of wind and water proof in holes——large or small. The lessons of history by general speaking seems as if history is none but only a stern and decent superior or teacher, actually history resembles a naughty child who is into teasing others. However, haveing the access to teaching and make fun of human beings is a victory of history, while only a few people listen to or get the lessons and the people who ever get to notice his kidding is even much fewer, which is the failure of history.
This is my translation of the follow prose 历史的顽笑 西洋的大诗人很多,第一个介绍到中国来的偏偏是郎费罗。郎费罗的好诗或较好的诗也不少,第一首译为中文的偏偏是《人生颂》。那可算是文学交流史对文学教授和评论家们的小小嘲讽或挑衅了!历史上很多――现在就也不少――这种不很合理的事例,更确切地说,很不合学者们的理想和理论的事例。这些都显示休谟所指出的,“是这样”(is)和“应该怎样”(ought)两者老合不拢。在历史过程里,事物的发生和发展往往跟我们闹别扭,恶作剧,推翻了我们定下的铁案,涂抹了我们画出的蓝图,给我们不透风、不漏水的严密理论系统搠上大大小小的窟窿。通常说的“历史的教训”,仿佛历史只是严厉正经的上级领导或老师;其实历史也像淘气捣乱的小孩子,爱开顽笑,捉弄人。有机会和能力来教训人,笑弄人,这是历史的胜利;很少人听取或听懂它的教训,几乎没有人注意和在意它的笑弄,那也是历史的――失败。