Fräulein Smilla
Fak ju Göhte (part I- summary) Having missed the most successful German movie of the last decade, I've finally got around to watching "Fak ju Göhte". Even though it is a comedy and is not meant to be taken too seriously, for me as a future teacher it was interesting as to how the filmmakers portrayed school and discussed different teacher styles. --- "Fak ju Göhte" is a misspelling of "F*ck you, Goethe!" which already hints at the poor orthographic skills of the main character and former criminal Zeki Müller. Having been just released from prison, Zeki wants to find the place where his ex-girlfriend once buried the money he got from bank robberies to pay off debts from his criminal past. After he determines the position of the money with a GPS device, he discovers that a new gym of a high school nearby was built on that exact spot. He decides to apply for a job as the school’s caretaker to gain regular access to the school’s basement. Due to some misunderstandings he ends up being employed as a substitute teacher instead. At first, Zeki does not show interest in his students and does not know what and how he should teach them. However, the students respect him because of his authoritative leading style which even includes threatening the children with violence. As opposed to Zeki’s attitude, we get to know Elisabeth ‘Lisi’ Schnabelstedt, a teacher trainee with high ambitions but low assertiveness. She does not manage to be the class teacher of a rather challenging group of teenagers and nearly despairs because the students do not listen to her and keep playing tricks on her.

Fak ju Göhte (part I- summary)

Having missed the most successful German movie of the last decade, I've finally got around to watching "Fak ju Göhte". Even though it is a comedy and is not meant to be taken too seriously, for me as a future teacher it was interesting as to how the filmmakers portrayed school and discussed different teacher(1) styles.

<em>(1)'teacher styles' is probably ok, but we would more often say 'teaching styles'. </em>
---
"Fak ju Göhte" is a misspelling of "F*ck you, Goethe!" which already hints at the poor orthographic skills of the main character and former criminal Zeki Müller. Having been just released from prison, Zeki wants to find the place where his ex-girlfriend once buried the money he got from bank robberies to pay off debts from his criminal past. After he determines the position of the money with a GPS device, he discovers that a new gym of a high school nearby was built on that exact spot. He decides to apply for a job as the school’s caretaker to gain regular access to the school’s basement. Due to some misunderstandings he ends up being employed as a substitute teacher instead.
At first, Zeki does not show interest in his students and does not know what and how he should teach them. However, the students respect him because of his authoritative leading style which even includes threatening the children with violence. As opposed to Zeki’s attitude, we get to know Elisabeth ‘Lisi’ Schnabelstedt(2), a teacher trainee with high ambitions but low assertiveness. She does not manage to be the class teacher(3) of a rather challenging group of teenagers and nearly despairs because the students do not listen to her and keep playing tricks on her.

<em>(2) I understand what you're saying here, but it doesn't 'sound' quite right. 'As apposed' is a nice synonym for 'in comparison', but it suggests more conflict or argument. Technically, it's right, but something like 'in contrast to Zeki's attitude, we get to know Elisabeth..."</em>

<em>(3)</em> <em>'She doesn't manage being the class teacher' - we would use a progressive construction here, but I see why you wrote the sentence in that way. </em>