Mark
Professional Teacher
Greetings used by British people In British English there are many different ways to say hello and greet people. Here's 5 different ways that you can use everyday. 1) Hi - The most popular and used in formal and informal situations. You can also start an informal email with "Hi". 2) Hey - Used a lot by young people and some adults, informal. 3) What's up? - This is quite informal most often used with friends and family. Sometimes you will say "What's up?", when you see your friend is sad, but also it is fine to say any other time. 4) Anything new? - Use this when you have not seen the person you are greeting for a long time and want to know what the person has been doing. Again informal. 5) Alright? - in full this would be "Are you alright?" which is another way to say "How are you?" But people just say "Alright?" with a rising intonation. You can also combine these greetings with words like mate, dude, friend, the name of the person, etc. So "Alright mate?" "Hey dude!", "Hey my friend" and "What's up Fred?". Hope these can be useful for you if you don't know them already. Try them out if you have a chance!
Hi Exequiel, your welcome. I'm going to post more notes like this in the next few days and weeks.
Hi! Great! Thank you fir the info.