Mark
Professional Teacher
Ways to say goodbye in English Hi, here I'm going to write about different ways to say goodbye in British English. 1) Bye or bye bye - the most well known and most well used. Can be used in any situation. 2) See you/see ya/ see you later - Also a very popular way to say goodbye. You can say you or ya (be careful ya is pronounced with a "ə" sound. For an please see: example http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=see%20ya). 3) Catch you later - "Catch" could be replaced with "Meet" or "See". The full meaning is "I will meet up with you later and talk with you again". Quite informal so don't use it with your boss unless you have a good relaxed relationship with them. 4) Ta-ra (or Tara) - This is said in a sing song voice. Maybe a bit old fashioned now, but people do say it quite often still. This always reminds me of Londoners speaking. You might use this when you were in a good mood and leaving your friend after having a nice time together. 5) Take care - This one can be used with people who are close to you and you want to show some affection towards. Your wife or husband, girlfriend or boyfriend, or any person you like. The full meaning is, "Please take good care of yourself". Again hope these are useful for you if you do not know these already. Please try them if you have the chance! and let me know how it goes! Ta-ra!