Arden
A birthday I wrote this on my 21st birthday last year. It exceeds the length limit so I upload the picture of it for your reading experience. Looking forward to your comments and thank you for reading this! "Come on ! Time to hit the road ! " "What's the haste, we still got plenty of time...."groaned. "We would be sorry if we miss it. Now cut the crap, pack your things and come with me. " "Fine, if you say so. "grimaced. It was near the dawn but still dark out there. Twinkling stars bestrewed the vast night sky. Somewhere off to their right crickets were chirping merrily. "It's quiet. " "In the middle of night, yes. "yawned. "Twilight, actually. Don't you think this is one of the most splendid things in the world ? It seems everything has been renewed and much gentler than middays. No jammed traffic or noisy crowd, no burning sun or hot air. Those things can almost kill people in midsummer. " "You were born in a day like this, weren't you ?" "Yeah...I suppose so. A summer child. " "Now look at you, already a woman grown. " "...I prefer the word 'girl', thanks. " "Yet you can't deny the aging and all the time behind you. Time kills, time tells. " "Age growth doesn't mean much to those who still laugh like children even in their eighties. I can stay forever young if I want to. Time won't hold me back. " "You sound like a green and inexperienced lad talking about conquering the whole world. You thought you were confident and fearless, but pretentious and ignorant indeed. " "I never meant to win anything. Never a good contestant. " "Lotteries are exceptions obviously. " "Ah... you know me. " "Sorry about those words, I wasn't trying to be mean. " "I know, it's alright. You simply tried to make a warning. I'll keep that in mind. Besides, you've got a point though. I'm not ready to fit in the society. No particular skills, no job, no money, no power. You know how much I used to despise all this shit, but without them, my life will totally become shit then. To live a life and enjoy it as best as I can. That is my motto. " "Surely you can manage it, I got the faith in you despite the current situation and uncertain future. " "Sweet of you to say that. " Silence fell like a mist. The sound of crickets chirping and leaves rustling seemed like a never-ending song. The numerous stars gradually diminished as the eastern sky turned whitish. "Ah...just some crackers and brown rice rolls, and er...several slices of whole wheat bread, we may be starving
1

=== comment

I won't correct anything.

It has been an enjoyable reading! Thank you.

You know English quite well in my opinion,

and -- which is more important --

you have something interesting to say!

Wish you the best, good luck and happiness!

by the time we got there. Want some ?" "Sure, those are my favorites. " "Tell me about your plan. How are you going to celebrate the twenty-first ? " "Well, you know, just the same old stuff. Noodles, cakes, wandering and shopping. " "On your own, you mean. " "You got me. " "Sometimes I worry about that. Keeping to yourself and all. " "I'm not solitary though. Enjoy being alone is no crime and I can be social if I need to. " "I hope you mean it about 'enjoy'. " "I do. Though it may be a pity not to have a companion to share joy and sorrows with. I may find it hard to cope with loneliness years later but that's not my concern now. We get along quite well with each other, me, aloneness and loneliness. They brought solace to me and more than that. " "'Sol-'...right, one of your favorite etyma. While you keep babbling about that, you do realize something is hidden deep inside, don't you ? " "You know me too well, thus you understand I don't feel like talking about it. " "Not every time, though. I know things only if you want them to be known. Now let's cut it out and keep heading forward, we're almost there. " By the time they reached the summit, the sky had already taken off its black cloak and put on a bright white one. The great orange shiny ball loomed behind the thick clouds. "Oh... here we are. What bracing views we got here !" "Make a wish, then. Like the one you make before blowing out candles on a birthday cake. Now that the rising sun becomes your BIG CAKE. " "It's been so long since I had a birthday cake for celebration...well, time for wishes. Wealth and health, wealth and health, wealth and health...." "...Can't you think of anything else, you berk. " "Why, this is exactly what I want. " "......" "All right, all right, I can make it specific. May the world be in peace, may all people love each other, may those I hold dear be happy, may all my wishes come true in the end. "
"What about the wealth and health ?" "People are apt to wish for what they can't have, I may not be able to change the world or others' lives, but I can do something about mine. What I want is a big deal while a simple wish makes little difference to it. I'd rather make it happen myself than make wishes of it. " "An interesting idea, but sensible. " "What about your wishes ?" "You've already done that for me, or us, remember ?" "Fair enough. So...happy birthday. " "You, too. " The first crimson rays of the sun leaked out of the clouds as dawn broke, casting one single long shadow behind her. A brand new day. "You may find it stupid to have written this when looking back at it next year." "Aren't you optimistic, I thought it's gonna be tomorrow. Let it be, then. Things change, people change. For better or worse. I'm 21 now. This is a present for myself. Shit or no, it's a gift. " Things will only get better.