Anne-Gaëlle
The Masque of the Red Death - Edgar Allan Poe : Theme and atmosphere The Masque of the Red Death was written by Edgar Allan Poe and published in 1850 - one year after his death. As the title suggested, the theme of this story is, in particular, the death. The atmosphere is unbearable. At the beginning of the story, we understand that a red death - a disease- is devastating the country. But the Prince Prospero is "happy and dauntless" (l.7) so he organized a revel in his abbey. The scene takes place during a masked ball. There are seven rooms in the abbey. Those represent the death and the life, the stages of life. In a way, it is from birth to death : the seventh room is the death. Indeed, in this one, there is a gigantic clock of ebony which is the allegory of the time -the time of your life. When it rings, everybody stop because there is the presence of a fear : the fear of something that could happen, like the death. "while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale". At midnight, guests and Prince notice the presence of a masked figure : "The figure was tall and gaunt, and shrouded from head to foot in the habiliments of the grave.". Prince Prospero found him, at last, in the seventh room, the room that everybody fear just as they fear death. There is nobody behind the mask, it was just the Red Death who came to took everybody. It punishes Prospero for his arrogance and it shows the powerlessness of humans to escape the death : no matter your wealth.

The Masque of the Red Death - Edgar Allan Poe : Theme and atmosphere

The Masque of the Red Death was written by Edgar Allan Poe and published in 1850 - one year after his death.
As the title suggests, the main theme (subject) of this story is death. The atmosphere is unbearable (horrifying).

At the beginning of the story, we understand (learn, or maybe infer/deduce) that a disease called "red death" is devastating the country. But Prince Prospero is "happy and dauntless" (l.7) so he organizes a revel (celebration) in his abbey. The scene takes place during a masked ball.
There are seven rooms in the abbey. They represent the different stages of life -the life cycle), the last one being death. Indeed, in this seventh room there is a giant ebony clock, the allegory of time - the time of your life (span of one's life). When it (the clock) rings, everybody stops (freezes) for they feel the strange presence of fear : the fear that something dreadful may happen, perhaps death. "while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale".

At midnight, guests and Prince notice the presence of a masked figure : "The figure was tall and gaunt, and shrouded from head to foot in the habiliments of the grave.".
Prince Prospero found him (finally encounters this new comer), at last, in the seventh room, the room that everybody fears just as they fear death. There is nobody behind the mask, it was just the Red Death that came to take everybody with it.
It punishes Prospero for his arrogance and shows the powerlessness of humans (humankind) to escape (avoid) death : no matter (regardless of) one's wealth (position in life).

Note: Congratulations!!! What a difficult text to write, isn't it? But you've done it. There weren't many problems actually, but I changed your text in certain places just to make it look more natural. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that you first wrote it in french and translated it afterwards. It would be a good idea to try writing directly in English; beside being a good exercise, it will save you a lot of time and effort. Keep on the good work, and feel free to ask anytime you need help. Best regards!