Little Kiwi
Language Dies Out With the development of technologies, the worldwide network is becoming dramatically closer and tighter. For the convenience of both cultural and economic communication, people coming from different countries and nations try to adopt a certain universal language, e.g. English. As a result, there’re several languages dying out each year due to relatively lower usage frequency, with conflicting views on how to regard this worrying trend. In my opinion, letting various languages gradually disappear without second thinking isn’t a good idea, as we’re also losing a large number of valuable cultural treasures among our human civilization. There are sufficient reasons for a language’s coming into being and dying out. We as language users cannot control the natural development of any language because it also belongs to the universal evolution principles. On the other hand, I think it’s not simply about survival of the fittest. Language as communication tool passed on generations is also a kind of precious cultural heritage, and we should try out best to dig into it and preserve the shining points as treasures in our daily life or it can only go into the history books. Whether a language could survive as time flies, it mainly depends on the relevant speaking population. However, if a language is so charming, people would rather use it with priority consideration. Taking Latin as a good example, although there isn’t any longer a nation, who uses Latin as either first or second language, it still plays a critical role on a large scale such as gardening and medicine field etc. Owning a very thorough and professional vocabulary bank makes Latin hardly to be abandoned. Overall, diversity of language originated from relevant civilization should be respected and any idea of easily giving up a beautiful language from human culture is unwise and inappropriate. As far as I’m concerned, it’s significant to protect and preserve language as valuable cultural heritage.

Language Dies Out

With the development of technologies, the worldwide network is becoming dramatically closer and tighter. For the convenience of both cultural and economic communication, people coming from different countries and nations try to adopt a certain universal language, e.g. English. As a result, there are several languages dying out each year due to relatively lower usage frequency, with conflicting views on how to regard this worrying trend. In my opinion, letting various languages gradually disappear without a second thought isn’t a good idea, as we’re also losing a large number of valuable cultural treasures among our human civilization.

There are sufficient reasons for a language’s coming into being and dying out. We as language users cannot control the natural development of any language because it also belongs to the universal evolutionary principles. On the other hand, I think it’s not simply about survival of the fittest. Language as a communication tool passed on for generations is also a kind of precious cultural heritage, and we should try our best to dig into it and preserve the shining points as treasures in our daily life or it can only go into the history books.

Whether a language could survive as time flies, it mainly depends on the relevant speaking population. However, if a language is so charming, people would rather use it with priority consideration. Taking Latin as a good example, although there is no longer any nation, that uses Latin as either first or second language, it still plays a critical role on a large scale such as gardening and medicine field etc. Owning a very thorough and professional vocabulary bank makes Latin hardly to be abandoned.

Overall, diversity of language originated from relevant civilizations should be respected and any idea of easily giving up a beautiful language from human culture is unwise and inappropriate. As far as I’m concerned, it’s significant to protect and preserve language as valuable cultural heritage.

This is a great article! I only made a few changes.

I understand your view because I'm a linguistics major and we often talk about preserving langauges. There are only about 7000 living languages in the world left and many are extinct every year. However, we can't really do much as outsiders because it is up to the native speakers of that langauge to preserve their language. If the native speakers of a language don't see learning the language as valuable, then the language will be lost. It's pretty unfortunate :(