kafov
Democracy. I think that true democracy could only exist with a small citizen body. A classic example was ancient Athens. At it's height the Athenian empire had at most 50 thousand full rights citizens ruling around five million other Greeks and slaves. In their system every male Athenian had a chance to serve in some kind of political office, regardless of his wealth i.e all played an active role in government. Also they were payed to to take part in the daily assembly. All the empires resources were relatively equally distributed between them, which gave them a great amount of leisure time to devote to their social and political pursuits. And they had a real stake in the political decisions. All males served in the army and Navy, as hoplites and rowers so that even the poorer members could defend their rights against the aristocracy or would be dictators. In my opinion this kind of direct democracy is impossible in modern nation states. Furthermore there is a great discrepancy between the power and resources of the small elite and the rest of population. The great majority of the voters have absolutely no way to participate in important decision making.