Zara
English words with Persian origin I was searching for some English words with Persian origin. I've already known candy and bazaar, especially bazaar which screams that it is Persian :D But today I found a word that its current meaning makes me laugh: Kiosk. Kiosk, from Kushk , means palace! and now everyone knows what a kiosk is! in comparison with a palace! :D there's another guess, gōšak from middle Persian, corner. It makes more sense. this word kushk is old-fashioned or maybe literary. Jackal from shughal. and we still use shughal. Carcass: well, it is related to its current meaning, we say Karkas to vulture and no need for explanation what a vulture does but it's interesting, because the Persian origin means something else. something totally different. کرکسfrom تیرکش, and I don't know the connection between them! تیر means arrow and we still use it for an arrow or a bullet. so تیرکش means archer. Rank from rang, means color and we still use rang رنگ. Sassanid army was ranked and dressed in different colors. does such a thing exist now that people are ranked in color? except martial arts. and Scarlet. from saquelat, a type of red cloth. a bright red.
3

English words with Persian origin

I was searching for some English words with Persian origins. I already knew candy and bazaar, especially bazaar, which screams that it is Persian :D
But today I found a word whose current meaning makes me laugh: Kiosk.

Kiosk, from Kushk , means palace! and now everyone knows what a kiosk is! In comparison with a palace! :D There's another guess, gōšak from Middle Persian, corner. It makes more sense. The word kushk is old-fashioned or maybe literary.

Jackal from shughal. and we still use shughal.

Carcass: well, it is related to its current meaning, we say Karkas for vulture. There is no need to explain what a vulture does, but it's interesting, because the Persian origin means something else, something totally different. کرکسfrom تیرکش, and I don't know the connection between them! تیر means arrow, and we still use it for an arrow or a bullet. So تیرکش means archer.

Rank from rang, means color and we still use rang رنگ. The Sassanid army was ranked and dressed in different colors. Does such a thing exist now, where people are ranked by color? Except martial arts.

And Scarlet, from saquelat, a type of bright, red cloth.

-'Whose' can be used to refer to inanimate objects ('word') when it makes the sentence less awkward.

-The M in Middle Persian needs to be capitalized because it is part of the proper name of the language.

-Here are some other words I have come across in books:

balcony
caviar
jasmine
lemon
lilac
magic
mogul
orange
pajamas
shawl
talc

a few more: Jungle, Cummerbund, in fact I think Bund and Band share a common root! there are words that I'm pretty certain aren't persian in origin, but that amaze me in how universal they are! Mother, Father and Daughter are all incredibly similar to scandinavian/germanic equivilanets!
We have about 200 hundred in Frenc that are considered to come from Arabic (and something like 4000 in Spanish, wow), but if you look well, a few of them actually come from Persian, and some made their way further into English, such as "orange" that was already mentioned, and also "aubergine" (from بادنگان) and "spinach" ("épinard" in French, from اسپناخ). Well, some of these actually came to Persian from Sanskrit, but then we have to choose a place to stop following words.
Thank you for sharing it :)
Quite interesting! I've also heard Pijamas come from Persian language too. "Pijamas" was originally "pir-jame" in persian meaning old garment. Paradise is another word that we still have the equivalent "pardis" meaning heaven for it.