Becky Huang
A story lasted for 27 years Twenty- eight years ago, a “weird uncle” went into Yangshuo primary school and told those kids that he wanted to take photos for them. Kids were very excited to stand in a line and waited to take photos with a foreign girl who was at about the same age with them. Because at that time camera is very rare in China, not to speak of a small village Yangshuo. The uncle told them that he would come back to give them the photos on the next day. If the uncle successfully gave them those photos at that time, this story wouldn’t be so dramatic. The next day when the uncle came back to the school, kids already started their summer holiday. In a age without internet and phone, how could they contact each other? Yes, there was nearly no way to contact them. So it takes the uncle 27 years to fulfill his promise. In 2013 and 2014, William came back to Yangshuo twice with those precious photos, to look for those kids. He went on street and show some local people those old photos to see whether they know those kids on the photos. He also advertised on the local TV station to look for those kids. Finally, he found several kids on the photo and gave them those precious photos. Last year, he was invited to visit one of the kid’s home and enjoyed a meal with his family. As William’s Mandarin teacher, I was very lucky to experience this long story. " William also gave me many precious photos from 28 years ago, i couldn't post it here. "

A Story Spanning Twenty Seven Years (lasted for 27 years)

Twenty- eight years ago at Yangshuo primary school, an older foreign guy called William (a “weird uncle” went into Yangshuo primary school and told those kids that he wanted to) offered to take some photos of the children. (for them.) The children (Kids) were very excited and stood in (to stand in a) line waiting to have their picture taken (and waited to take photos) with a foreign girl who was (at) about the same age as (with) them. (Because) At that time a camera was (is) very rarely seen (rare) in China, let alone in (not to speak of) a small village such as Yangshuo.

William (The uncle) told them (that) he would hand (come back to give) them the photos (on) the next day. If that had happened, (the uncle successfully gave them those photos at that time,) this story wouldn’t be so dramatic. The next day when he returned, (the uncle came back to the school,) the kids had already started their summer holiday. In an (a) age without internet and phone, how could they contact each other?

Yes, there was almost (nearly) no way for him to contact them. So, it took William (takes the uncle) 27 years to fulfill his promise. In 2013 and 2014, he returned (William came back) to Yangshuo twice with those precious photos, to look for those former pupils. (kids.)
He went out on to the street and showed the photos to (show) some local people (those old photos) to see whether they recognised any of the faces. (know those kids on the photos.) He also advertised on the local TV station. ( to look for those kids.) Finally, he found several of the former pupils (kids on the photo) and handed (gave) them those precious photos.

Last year, he was invited to visit one of their homes (the kid’s home) and enjoyed a meal with the (his) family. As William’s Mandarin teacher, I was very lucky to experience this long story.

" William also gave me many precious photos from 28 years ago (,) but I couldn't post them (it) here. "

What a great story!

June 14, 2015
:-( Oh no . . . iTalki killed my formatting. Tsk, tsk!
June 14, 2015
What I didn't understand was if those kids went on summer holiday, why not simply talk to the school principle or perhaps wait until the kids returned from their holiday? Maybe the weird uncle didn't think of that, then twenty-eight years later found the photo and decided it'd be fun to try to find those kids. It's such a cool story! Oh, wait . . . now that I've looked over the story again, the "weird uncle" is William who is a foreigner. That's I think the part that made it confusing—I thought it was a weird Chinese man that went into the school. Also, in English, when the words "weird" are used around adults interacting and taking pictures of children, there's sometimes bad connotations. For example, I when I first started reading the story, I immediately thought the "weird uncle" was a pedophile and this was going to be a sad story. Unfortunately, events in the past twenty years in America have really twisted the expected relationship between adult men and children. As a 27 year-old who used to baby sit a lot and gets along great with kids, this makes me sad . . . =\
June 14, 2015
Thanks Tom. I'm not good at writing stories. It would be great if any teacher can give me some advice :-)
This is an unusual, but interesting story.