I really don't know how to use Past tenses..Could you help me? When John had returned from the shop he felt himself satisfied with presents which he had bought to his friends. He had been imagining how happy his friends would be when he presented them these wonderful gifts. At the moment, he had left the bus one package of him fell down while John was flying in his dreams. A few minutes later John saw a stranger who had been following him. He thought: ‘if I had only chosen another road, I wouldn’t get in this trouble’. A boy decided to hurry up, because he was convinced that if he stopped running the dangerous man would kill him. However, the stranger had been coming up and it was clear that sooner or later he would catch up with John. Suddenly the boy felt someone’s hand on his shoulder. He was scared of being hurt by unknown man. Nevertheless, the stranger didn’t look like thief or killer. Moreover, he had been smiling at John and carrying one of John’s package in his hands. John was very confused and felt himself stupid. If only he had known the real intentions of kind man, he surely wouldn’t run away.
1

I really don't know how to use Past tenses..Could you help me?

When John_returned from the shop he felt_satisfied with the presents_he had bought for his friends. He was anticipating how happy his friends would be when he gave them those wonderful gifts. Suddently he realized he had left_one of his packages on the busMaybe it fell down while John was daydreaming.
A few minutes later, John noticed a stranger who had been following him. He thought: ‘if I had only chosen another road, I wouldn’t be in this trouble’. The boy decided to hurry up, because he was convinced that if he stopped running, the dangerous man would kill him. However, the stranger was still coming closer and it was clear that sooner or later he would catch up with John. 
Without warning, the boy felt someone’s hand on his shoulder. He was scared of being hurt by the unknown man. Nevertheless, the stranger didn’t look like a thief or a killer. Moreover, he was smiling at John and carrying one of John’s packages in his hands.
John was very embarrased and feeling stupid. If only he had known the real intentions of that kind man, he surely wouldn’t have run away. :)