Surf
Practice for IELTS Writing Task 2 :Traffic Congestion and Pollution Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective? There has been a rise in traffic congestion and pollution in several cities in the world. Some people think that pushing the petrol prices up is the best way to tackle these problems. Personally, I completely disagree with this view, because I believe that other measures would be more appropriate. There are many reasons for not raising the prices of petrol. Higher fuel prices could not solve the problems effectively. Firstly, most drivers are high-income and above-average people and as a result despite higher prices, they are still capable of paying for fuels. In addition, these such prices would be a heavy burden on working people who have low income and a big mortgage on the house. Thirdly, the unemployment rates in the country are likely to go up because of growing costs of doing businesses, domestic transportation businesses in particular. Alternative measures could be taken to address the problems. One good idea is for the government to improve public transport systems by enhancing services on buses and trains and providing passengers with adequate information at stops. By doing this, people would be more confident to use public transportation, leading to a reduction in car numbers. Secondly, exclusive lanes for buses should be built to enable buses to avoid crowded city streets. Consequently, passengers are discouraged to drive their personal cars due to shorter time taken on the public transportation. Lastly, stricter traffic regulations should be introduced. For example, parking on the side of the road is not allowed and people breaking the rules will be heavily fined. In conclusion, in my opinion, other solutions to congestion and pollution are more constructive than increasing the petrol prices.
1

Practice for IELTS Writing Task 2 :Traffic Congestion and Pollution

Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
What other measures do you think might be effective?

There has been a sharp increase in congestion and pollution in many large cities. Some people think that pushing up the price of petrol is the best way to tackle these problems. Personally, I completely disagree with this view, because I believe that other measures would be more appropriate.

There are many reasons for not raising the prices of petrol. Firstly, many drivers earn a high-income and as a result despite higher prices, they would still be capable of paying for fuels. In addition, higher prices would be a heavy burden on working-people who have low income and a big mortgage on their homes. Thirdly, unemployment rates are likely to increase because of the growing costs of doing business, domestic transportation businesses in particular would suffer. Clearly, higher fuel prices alone cannot solve these problems effectively.

Alternative measures could be taken to address the problems. One good idea is for the government to improve public transport systems by enhancing* services on buses and trains and providing passengers with adequate information at stops. By doing this, people would be more confident in using public transportation, leading to a reduction in the volume of traffic. Secondly, bus lanes should be built to enable buses to avoid crowded city streets. Consequently, passengers would be discouraged to drive due to the reduced journey times that would now be available on the public transpot network. Lastly, stricter traffic regulations should be introduced. For example, parking on the side of the road should not be allowed and people who commit traffic offences should be fined heavily.

In conclusion, in my opinion, other solutions to congestion and pollution are more constructive than increasing price of petrol. 

*I would consider saying clearly what enhancing means. Does it mean more services, bigger buses/trains, more conforable or a combination of all these. 

I deleted 'above average' because I felt it suggested people who earn more money are better people - perhaps you meant 'educated' or 'people in senior positions'. 

In the UK lines for buses are simply called bus lanes or bus priority lanes. These are often shared with coaches, taxis and cyclists. 

Great essay! Lots of good ideas and well-argued and expressed. 

1

There has been a rise in traffic congestion and pollution in several cities in the world. Some people think that pushing the petrol prices up is the best way to tackle these problems. Personally, I completely disagree with this view, because I believe that other measures would be more appropriate.

There are many reasons for not raising the prices of petrol. Higher fuel prices will not solve these problems effectively. Firstly, most drivers are high-income and upper class people and as a result, despite higher prices, they will still be capable of paying for fuels. In addition, these such prices would be a heavy burden on working people who have low incomes and a big mortgage on their house. Thirdly, the unemployment rates in the country are likely to go up because of growing costs of doing businesses, particularly domestic transportation businesses in particular.

Alternative measures could be taken to address the problems. One good idea is for the government to improve public transport systems by enhancing services on buses and trains and providing passengers with adequate information at stops. By doing this, people would be more confident to using public transportation, leading to a reduction in the number of cars numbers. Secondly, exclusive lanes for buses should be built to enable them to avoid crowded city streets. Consequently, passengers are would be discouraged to from driving their personal cars due to shorter time taken on the public transportation being a quicker alternative. Lastly, stricter traffic regulations should be introduced. For example, parking on the side of the road is should not be allowed and people breaking this rule will should be heavily fined.

In conclusion, in it is my opinion that other solutions to congestion and pollution are more constructive than increasing the petrol prices.

There has been an increase in traffic congestion and pollution in several cities around the world. Some people think that increasing the price of petrol price is the best way to tackle these problems. Personally, I completely disagree with this way of thinking, because I believe that other measures are more appropriate.

There are many reasons for not raising the price of petrol. Higher fuel prices may not be an effective solution to the problems mentioned above. Firstly, most drivers are high income-earners, and are, therefore, capable of paying more for fuel if required.  In addition, higher prices would be a heavy burden on working people who have low incomes and big mortgages on their houses. Thirdly, unemployment rates in some countries are likely to rise due to an increase in the cost of doing business and increases in the cost of domestic transportation..

Alternative measures could be taken to address the problem. One good idea would be for the government to improve public transport systems by enhancing bus and train services and providing passengers with adequate information at stops. By doing this, people would be more confident in using public transportation, leading to a reduction in the volume of cars. Secondly, exclusive lanes for buses should be built to enable buses to avoid crowded city streets. Passengers would consequently be discouraged from using their personal vehicles, as it would take less time to use  public transportation. Lastly, stricter traffic regulations should be introduced. For example, parking on the side of the road could be prohibited, with people breaking such a rule being heavily fined.

In conclusion, in my opinion, there are more constructive solutions to resolving congestion and pollution problems than simply increasing petrol prices.
Thanks a lot.
This was a very well constructed response. Good job.