Angela
Italian students vs unemployment: who is going to win? Everybody knows it is a hard time for students in Italy. In this period of crisis, unemployed is rising as never before. Recent studies showed that a third of the country's young people are unemployed. It is easy to understand that the atmosphere between young people in not so relaxed. Most undergraduates in my country feel a bit unsure about their future employement prospects. Although, this not certain situation gives them more motivation to do their best. They understood the importance of being the best at doing something, does not matter what it is. They have never been so determined to achieve their goals. They are motivated to study and obtain their degree. Most of them, indeed, think that it is extremely important to keep on studying and to obtain a master degree or even a Ph.D. They are aware that the higher qualification you have, the greatest possibility there are to get a job - and why not a good one. In their opinion it is also important to have experience - better in another country - and to be always ready and flexible for any changes or variations. They believe that they need to be prepared to adapt theirselves in each kind of situations because the world is changing very quickly and your future plans could change from one day to another. But almost all of them agree to keep hopeful and confident - it is essantial to believe in yourself and in what you do. Hovewer, some undergraduates in my country see the situation very differently. They feel very negative and are likely to consider only the bad side of the situation. They think that nothing will change, and so it does not matter that they have a degree or not because anyway there is no work - and according with recent statistics, they are not so wrong. They are likely to behave in a passive way and avoid all possibilities their university offers such as Erasmus, Overseas project, internships and so on. They do not want to spend any time, money or energy to make things better. Clearly there arguments on both sides, but one thing we can be certain of is that economic and employment problems will not go away in the near future.
Your conclusion in your last paragraph is definitely true. Problems will not be taken care of any time in the near future. Uncertainty will continue. Viable solutions will only be available to a limited number of people. Let us hope for better times.
I am so sorry to hear it, it sounds bad. In Brazil the unemployment has been raising everyday, the government is not able to management it. Now it is time to keep in our job and try to help the other ones to find some job. I hope the crisis in Italy be solved soon. I wish good luck for students.