Руслан
"Important profession" or "The Midwife in literature" Today I'd started to read "Call the Midwife" by Jennifer Worth and in the very begin of the book decided to write about it a little. In 1998 Terri Coates had published an article in "Midwives Journal". After careful research she was forced to conclude that midwives are virtually non-existent in literature. "Why, in heaven's name? ", asked the author and proceed "Fictional doctors grace the pages of books in droves, scattering pearls of wisdom as they pass. Nurses, good and bad, are by no means absent. But midwives? Whoever heard of a midwife as a literature heroine? Yet midwifery is the very stuff of drama. Every child is conceived either in love or lust, is born in pain, followed by joy or sometimes remorse. A midwife is in the thick of it, she sees it all. Why then does she remain a shadowy figure, hidden behind the delivery room door? ". Terri Coates finished her article with a lament for the neglect of such an important profession. Jennifer Worth read her words, accepted the challenge, and took up my pen.

"Important profession" or "The Midwife in literature"

Today I'd started to read "Call the Midwife" by Jennifer Worth and in the very begin of the book decided to write about it a little. In 1998 Terri Coates published  an article in "Midwives Journal". After careful research she was forced to conclude that midwives are virtually non-existent in literature. "Why, in heaven's name? ", asked the author and continued: "Fictional doctors grace the pages of books in droves, scattering pearls of wisdom as they pass. Nurses, good and bad, are by no means absent. But midwives? Whoever heard of a midwife as a literature heroine? Yet midwifery is the very stuff of drama. Every child is conceived either in love or lust, is born in pain, followed by joy or sometimes remorse. A midwife is in the thick of it, she sees it all. Why then does she remain a shadowy figure, hidden behind the delivery room door? ". Terri Coates finished her article with a lament for the neglect of such an important profession. Jennifer Worth read her words, accepted the challenge, and took up her pen.

Very interesting.. I want to know more about this book.