Eileen
writing practice(topic: English idioms) I like English idioms, they are fun and useful,like 'burn the candle at both ends'. But some of the idioms are not suitable to our society now, for example 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians', I will never use this one. There are idioms in Chinese as well, like'临时抱佛脚' 。 If you don't work hard until a few days before the big exam, then you are 临时抱佛脚ing.

writing practice(topic: English idioms)

I like English idioms, they are fun and useful,like 'burn the candle at both ends'. But some of the idioms are *not suitable to our society now, for example 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians', I will never use this one.
There are idioms in Chinese as well, like'临时抱佛脚' 。 If you don't work hard until a few days before the big exam, then you are 临时抱佛脚ing.

*not suitable for  <em>or</em>  not suited to   You could also say  'not appropriate (for our society) now

I remember at a residents' meeting with the Council some years ago, someone used exactly this idiom to describe the staffing situation in the Housing Department, instead of saying that there were too many managers.  It was an apposite [correct and appropriate] use of the expression in this context.

It's a joke, I use '临时抱佛脚' as a verb in this sentence and add '-ing' because of the present tense. But it seems to fail its mission and cause confusion instead.
临时抱佛脚ing. : what does this mean ?

writing practice(topic: English idioms)

I like English idioms, they are fun and useful,like 'burn the candle at both ends'. But some of the idioms are not suitable to  for our society now, for example 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians', I will never use this one.