bruno
question i have a question really, in spanish there is something called "tilde", usually known as "acento", well, al least in my country is the same. "acento" is the entonation that a person uses to speak and "tilde" is a little line over a vowel, for example "caminó" so my question is, is there any name for "tilde" in English? i'm asking this because for what I know in English the "tilde" is not used, thanks :) Pd: if I wrote something wrong, please correct me

question

i  have a question really, in Spanish spanish there is something called a "tilde", usually known as "acento", well, al least in my country is the same. "acento" is the intonation entonation that a person uses to speak and "tilde" is a little line over a vowel, for example "caminó"
so my question is, is there any name for "tilde" in English?
i'm asking this because as far as for what I know in English the "tilde" is not used, thanks :)

Pd: if I wrote something wrong, please correct me

As a native British English speaker and student of Spanish I would use the word tilde to desribe this symbol, ususally used over the letter ñ.  I would use the expression 'acute accent' to descibe the forward facing accent such as ó.

a tilde is used in maths; in English language it can be used to indicate the omission of a word (in a dictionary) or in casual speech to indicate a "profanity" - swear word - is omitted. Also in rare use it can mean "approximately" (eg I've seen doctors use it to say - do this test at approximately 2pm "~ 2pm" )