Hiro
Professional Teacher
Three cues of the transitive and the intransitive verb in Japanese. 1. If the verb is ended with ARU, the verb is the intransitive verb. And it becomes the transitive verb when changing ARU to ERU. ex) 変わる→変える、止まる→止める 2. All are the intransitive verbs if the verbs are ended with RERU. ex) 流れる、破れる、割れる、生まれる 3. All are the transitive verbs if the verbs are ended with SU. ex) 返す、帰す、出す、直す、残す

Three cues for determining transitive and the intransitive verbs in Japanese.

1. If the verb ends with ARU, the verb is an intransitive verb. It becomes the transitive verb when changing ARU to ERU.
ex) 変わる→変える、止まる→止める

2. If the verbs are ended with RERU it is an intransitive verb
ex) 流れる、破れる、割れる、生まれる

3. If the verb are ends with SU it is a transitive verb.
ex) 返す、帰す、出す、直す、残す

haha sorry about this. I believed that all students reaching to think about this grammar can understand the hardness of the transitive and the intransitive verbs to the point that such three explanations are not enough to cover all. That's why my notebook was very short. Anyway thank you for your comment!
I see. The words of "All are the..." confused me(^_^;)
To Kara, thank you for your comment, but I didn't say 'rule' but I said 'cue'. Therefore it is wrong if the students come to think that here is only three rules of the intransitive and the transitive verbs. Basically, students need much practice rather than studying this difficult grammar.
I thought it was a good idea, so I tried myself if it really works. 預かる⇒預ける:intransitive to transitive? (水を)入れる: intransitive?? (水が)増す: transitive???   I start feeling there are a lot of exceptions above rules... What do you think?