catherine
What About Food Safety of Infant Formula? Accompanying with national economy and women independence rapid developments, a growing number of babies rely on formula powder milk for daily nutrition. Hence, the food safety of infant formula has risen to be the most concern to many parents. Especially after few severe infant formula food safety incidents which caused by either conscious adding illegal chemicals or just wrong choice of raw milk relating to low-testing standards and careless acceptance check, many Chinese parents flock to foreign produced infant formulas on the assumption that they should be safer. Is it true that the foreign infant formulas are always better and safer? Let's have a closer look at it. How does it begin? Human being is basically mammal, and when a mother deliver her baby(or babies), with effects of spontaneous hormone mechanism, it is the most natural thing that the mother will give milk to her baby(babies) in the next one day or two, sometimes even in just a few hours later. Scientists found, before the breeding is successfully achieved, most babies would be just fine to drink some water instead of milk. The initial recorded document about powder milk is possibly a description of Marco Polo, a famous Italian traveler and businessman in 13th century. He noted, in Yuan Dynasty of China, the Mongolian Cavalry was used to carry one kind of milky food with them. But he hadn't specified it. In modern times, the first powder milk factory was built by a French man named帕芒蒂伦瓦尔德(Don't know his French name) in 1805. At the beginning, powder milk is mainly used in the case when mothers can't give enough breast milk for their babies, and in very rare conditions that they can't give any at all. Nevertheless, more and more parents choose to feed their babies with infant formula powder milk for three main reasons:

What About Food Safety regarding children's food formula?

Accompanying with national economy and women independence rapid developments, a growing number of babies rely on formula powder milk for their daily nutrition. Hence, the food safety of infant formula has become to be the biggest concern of many parents. Especially after few severe infant formula food safety incidents which were caused by either the conscious adding of illegal chemicals or just wrong choice of raw milk due to low-testing standards and careless acceptance check. Many Chinese parents flock to stores to buy foreign produced infant formulas on the assuming that they should be safer. Is it true that foreign products infant formulas are always better and safer? Let's have a closer look at it.
How did it begin?
The Human being is basically a mammal, and when a mother deliver her baby(or babies), with effects of spontaneous hormone mechanism, it is the most natural thing that the mother will breastfeed milk to her baby / babies in the next one day or two, sometimes even in just a few hours later. Scientists found, before the breeding is successfully achieved, that most babies would be just fine to drink some water instead of milk.
The first recorded document about powdered milk is possibly a description by Marco Polo, a famous Italian traveler and businessman from the 13th century. He noted, in Yuan Dynasty of China, the Mongolian Cavalry was used to carry one kind of milky food with them. But he didn't specified it. In modern times, the first powder milk factory was built by a French man named帕芒蒂伦瓦尔德(I don't know his French name) in 1805. At the beginning Powder milk is mainly used in the case when mothers don't have enough breast milk for their babies, and in very rare conditions that they don't have any at all.
Nevertheless, more and more parents choose to feed their babies with infant formula powder milk because of three main reasons:

Catherine, good job.

Just be aware of redundancies (the use of words or data that could be omitted without loss of meaning or function). For example, you wrote "formula powder milk" (powdered milk formula) many times. You can substitute it by using the pronoun it, or not mentioning the product at all since the reader knows what you are talking about.

--Ravi.

What are worries? Even though, there are still some key points need to be improved in order to carry out a more effective and target-specified regulation. The most urgent one is existing testing standards for many food remain relatively low, which result in many daily sampling and testing meaningless. Since technologies and methods for committing crimes related to illegal adding are evolving quickly, it is an insufficient way of regulation by regulation in accordance with outdated standards. And sometimes it is in great need of reasonable assessment criteria. Take the hormone residues for example, there are certain determination of animal-origin hormone multiresidues in infant formula, but there is no judgment standard of what content is a normal residual while exceeding that number it would be an evidence of illegal hormone injection to dairy cow. Public testing authorities are reluctant to research and develop new standards to fulfill practical inspections. Because it is time, money and energy costing, while in the mean time the outcomes are unpredictable and lack of incentives
How can we do about it? As common people without capacity to change current situations on a large scope, however, there are actions could be made to benefit our own children and for the coming generations. To start with ourselves, we could feed our children with breast milk rather than infant formula as possible as we can. It is the most natural way of raising children, which lasts for thousands of years and is proved to be successful. Some infant formula producer may be frustrated about it, but it is universally knowledged that breast milk is the most suitable food for babies. Besides it is more than just feeding, it also helps to establish close parenthood between mothers and babies. So we shall tell people we know and encourage them to try it. We also can maximize our sense of being masters of societies and take responsibilities to create a safer food conditions, no matter we are manufacturers, retailers, snack vendors or just consumers. And finally, if we confront any illegal conducts about food(sometimes you're not sure it is illegal or not, so don't hesitate to inquiry an authority to help you with it), promptly reporting to relative regulatory departments is the best way for us to solve problems beyond our abilities.
How does regulation goes? All countries around the world desire to eradicate illegal practices on food safety once for all. Nevertheless, with many regulatory methods and food standards adapted, it still maintain unsolved respectively. Still, there are effective experiences can be learnt. For examples, the U.S. enterprises have established a fast and timely food safety pre-warning system, which for the most of time can inform the government and the public about recalling products at the first stage when a food safety emergence arise . In German regulation, infant formula is included within drug regulatory system, which means it needs to pass German Health Authorities' testing. As for China, with rethinking about issues in the past, the government is experimenting several new methods and try to figure out which suits local conditions best. such as some local governments tried the German way, setting experimental pharmacy stores to sell infant formula and started to Build internal files of infant formula producers' detail information, which consist of company basic information(Food Production License and raw material suppliers' information), implementation information(safety inspection, illegal management record and so on) and social supervision information(consumer complaint and media exposure). CFDA is planning to estimate companies' files, ascertain their credit rating and then apply different degrees of regulations accordingly. It is hopeful that various of practical regulatory methods could improve food safety condition fundamentally.
How does it going? People's leaning to infant formula powder milk makes this industry has developed with a great prosperity. But with insufficient regulation confined by limited regulatory power and technology, some severe infant formula safety issues has emerged from the water. Such as the Sanlu Milk Powder Incident in 2008. The company added Melamine which was a chemical material, mainly used in chemical industry and strictly forbidden using in food, into raw milks. Because the protein content determination of powder milk was tested by kjeldah method at that time(kjeldah method: Estimating protein content by tested overall nitrogen content of products). The company cheated by increasing nitrogen level through adding melamine into it, and caused serious illness among infants, such as kidney stone. It was reported that 4 baby deaths and accumulative 39,965 babies influenced by it. Since then, most of Chinese parents have been anxious about babies' food safety and rushed into foreign produced infant formula in the assumption of they are safer. But it turns out that no food is absolutely safe around the world. There are baby food safety issues happened in foreign countries as well: In a sampling results list released by the China's Administration of Quality Supervision,Inspection and Quarantine(AQSIQ), over 23 tons of foreign-produced power milk are prohibited to import to China because of variety of problems. For instance, 19.8 tons of Gold Baby Formula imported from Australia by High Dairy(Qingdao) Co., LTD were found failing to meet the national standard of pantothenic acid content. Lower pantothenic acid content may result in children dysphoria and dyspepsia. On 10 November, 2004, a formula produced by the world famous food manufactory, U.S. Heinz Group, was enforced to be recalled from Israel. It was reported that it had caused 3 baby deaths and 10 baby cerebrum growth suffered injury.