Kimmy
Clumsy native speakers on italki Hi, this is my first notebook. I want you guys to revise my writing and at the same time, want to hear your opinion about my topic. I hope people(whatever their nationality is) give their opinion as much as possible :-) Today I want to write about some people on italki. I think most efficient way of language study is learning from native speaker. As I am a Korean, I would love to help people who want to learn Korean and I try to give them correct answers. I sometimes struggle with dictionaries for a long time because some grammar or words are even difficult for me to explain. If I can't answer the question even with that effort, I give up because my answer can be wrong. But I saw some people on italki who are not really giving the right answer to others. I don't know how could they are so sure about their wrong answer..if it is just a SNS sort of thing, it doesn't matter.. but this place is for learning. If there are many native speakers, the others can give right answer but what if there are not many? Questioner can believe that wrong one is right..and later he/she will be confused with other problems. For example, Q: How can I respond to 'Thank you'? People who believe 'You are welcome' as 'Your welcome' can answer wrong. Hope this helps you with understanding. I don't want to blame others and I am not talking about answers that can be affected by personal values. I know there are more people who are giving brilliant answers everyday. And I love people trying to help each other. I might be nosy or I might feel too strong responsibility. I want to know your opinion about people who give wrong answer. This topic can be connected to wikipedia, even further, school teacher...and so on. But I just want to talk about italki. This note even makes me to be afraid of answering to any questions from now on hahaha So.. as I said, any comments or opinion will be thankful! And yes! Please check my wrong grammar and word!
Jun 4, 2015 7:50 AM
I think that you would write this in the right section, as Laogui said.

You make an excellent observation -- most native speakers are not consciously aware of how their own language really works. Luckily, the types of mistakes made by native speakers are usually different from the ones made by non-natives, so you can probably sort out which corrections are useful to you. For example, I've never seen a non native English speaker write "would of" instead of "would've," yet native speakers do it all the time.

Anyeonghaseyo!! My opinion about this is as same as you. If the one who give correction is not really sure about his/her owns, i think... the best way (for me) is 'don't do it'. Otherwise, we can ask our other friends about it to help her/him.

You are welcome, and you're welcome are the same. The latter is a contraction of the first. 

The example you gave, your welcome, is often said incorrectly by people who think you're and your are the same. They are not.

Your welcome actually refers to the welcome given by another person, and perhaps we wish to compliment them on their welcome. For example; "Your welcome is gratefully accepted."

I suggest you reconsider whether this topic is a wise choice. What impression do you expect to create of yourself in the mind of a reader who is willing to donate their time to correcting your English entry? By all means ask the question (briefly), or leave a comment, in the questions section. This is MY reaction to your entry.