Sharonbee
Memories (4)- My teachers (Part One) As my former essay mentioned, a good teacher is important to everyone. I had two teachers who impressed and affected me to some extent. One was my Chinese teacher in senior high scool; the other was my accounting teacher in college. They had some things in common: Both of them were popular with their students and taught very well in the field of expertise.   My Chinese teacher was a elegantl and modest lady whose husband was a teacher in my school, too. Her conduct always was an example to all of us. We used to stay focused on her teaching in class, especially when she taught "Confucian Analects" that guided me through the labyrinth on the thought and behavior. Perhaps, most of peple would think ancient thoughts were boring and old-fashioned, but the fact remains that the content in the analects even set the trend in education. In addition to "因材施教"( please refer to what I mentioned on my son's piano teacher), according to the sentence, 子曰:“自行束脩以上,吾未嘗無誨焉。” we can realize that Confucius didn't evade the gift from the one who was in readiness for learning from him sincerely, and was glad to impart instruction. He didn't regard the bundle of dried flesh as a bribe, whereas the struggled food signifed the learner's determination in learning. Would you think it was an offbeat viewpoint, wouldn't you?   The content of "Confucian Analects" was collected from the words between Confucius and his disciples. Due to its literary language, it's hard to be understood fully and well, further leads to the boredom. What set my teacher apart from others, it was striking that she interpreted the words and meanings in her unique light and made them intertesting and valuable on life. She taught us not only about the knowlege from the textbooks, but also on the positive attitudes and concepts. In the sentence, 子曰:“盍各言爾志?”, she brought us an open mind to respect others' different opinions through Confucius' words.   子曰:“吾十有五而志於學,三十而立, 四十而不惑,五十而知天命,六十而耳順,七十而從心所欲,不踰矩。” This is Confucius's own account of his gradual progress and attainments as well as the obeyed aims of me in life. I wish I could know exactly what I do and have no questions on my decisions. It's not easy, right? To be continued.
Jun 21, 2015 4:51 AM

Memories (4)- My teachers (Part One)

As my former previous essay mentioned, a good teacher is important to everyone. I had two teachers who impressed and affected me to some extent/significantly. One was my Chinese teacher in senior high scool; the other was my accounting teacher in college. They had some things in common: Both of them were popular with their students and taught very well in their field of expertise.

My Chinese teacher was an elegant and modest lady whose husband was a also teacher in my school, too. Her conduct was always was an example to all of us. We used to stay focused on her teaching in class, especially when she taught "Confucian Analects" <em>(wah! haha)</em> that guided me through the labyrinth on the of thought and behavior. Perhaps, most of people would think ancient thoughts were boring and old-fashioned, but the fact remains that the content in the analects even set the trend in education. In addition to "因材施教"( please refer to what I mentioned on my son's piano teacher), according to the sentence, 子曰:“自行束脩以上,吾未嘗無誨焉。” we can realize that Confucius didn't evade refuse the a gift from the anyone who was in readiness for learning/sincerely prepared to learn from him sincerely, and was glad to impart instruction. He didn't regard the bundle of dried flesh as a bribe, whereas the struggled hard-earned food signifed the learner's determination in to learn/for learning. You would you think it was an offbeat viewpoint, wouldn't you?

The content of "Confucian Analects" was collected from the words which passed between Confucius and his disciples. Due to its literary language, it's hard to be understood fully and well, further and what's more usually leads to the boredom. What set my teacher apart from others, it what was striking, was that she interpreted the words and meanings in her unique light and made them intertesting and valuable on for life. She taught us not only about the textbook knowledge from the textbooks, but also on the positive attitudes and concepts. In the sentence, 子曰:“盍各言爾志?”, she brought us an open mind to respect others' different opinions through Confucius' words.

子曰:“吾十有五而志於學,三十而立, 四十而不惑,五十而知天命,六十而耳順,七十而從心所欲,不踰矩。” This is Confucius's own account of his gradual progress and attainments as well as the obeyed(?) aims of me in life. I wish I could know exactly what I must do and have no questions on doubts about my decisions. It's not easy, right?

To be continued.

my suggestion reads:

"As I have mentioned in my previous essay, a good teacher........."

Why? Because i wonder if "my previous essay" can be the "Subject" in this clause.

BTW, according to Ur self-intro, i think "I live in a windy and a city of hi-tech." may be more properly structured than "I live in a windy and technical city."

Ya, Uncle 老鬼(laogui32), don't U think U have just precisely kicked on the point that "your essay itself does not speak"?

i feel that Sharonbee eagerly posted lots of her compositions on italki to meet a higher than average standard of TOEFL or IELTS. Do U, Sharonbee?

In brief, Uncle 老鬼, do U think the official TOEFL or IELTS composition-evaluating staff may accept this sort of structure like "As my previous essay mentioned, a good teacher..."???

Original replies by Lian Pu & laogui32
----------

Lian Pu
my suggestion reads: "As I have mentioned in my previous essay, a good teacher........."

laogui32
It can, but it is surely better to speak of YOU as the subject, or the speaker since your essay itself does not speak

Well, first of all, i did ponder on the sentence "I live in a windy and hi-tech city." then. And, i think "I live in a windy and a city of hi-tech." reveals a sort of chic styling in English writing.

BTW, [Thanks for your comments "which offer" me the opportunity to "consider" the points that...] seems quite OK, right?

Cheers~ Good luck~

Sharonbee's original reply:

------------------

Thanks for your comments and offering me the opportunity to considering the points that you mentioned. Perhaps there was a typo from you and you meant "a windy and hi-tech city" since high-tech is an adjective, and moreover, tech is an abbreviation for technical or technology based on the Cambridge Dictionaries Online for your reference.

This is Confucius's own account→This is Confucius'* own account;signifed→signified;子曰:“盍各言爾志?”→子曰:“亦各言其志也已矣!”