Loong Loong
Should I stop asking questions for unknown words? I came across 2 words that I was unsure its definition after looking up in a dictionary. I determined to post my question on a forum. After a couple of minutes, I got the answers that I'm always grateful and thankful for those who spend their time to help others for learning a language. Simultaneously, a moderator of that forum sent me a private message who said always look for the answer in the dictionary first or to have research before posting here. I responded that I did look up in the dictionary before posting here. But I was not sure the meaning of both words then I posted. Occasionally, English words are very tricky that you could not find in a dictionary. You think it is a phrasal verb, unfortunately, it is not. You look up one word by one word, but it's a phrasal verb. Perhaps, neither of them, it is an idiom! I even demonstrated her my Chrome history, the way how I looked up the 2 words in the dictionary. I realized that I spent about 5 to 10 minutes for both words in 8 websites. A while later, she messaged that it was a very interesting response. You see, it was very obvious to a native speaker that just an adjective + noun, and both words had very normal meanings - to me. I sighed and thought to myself, because you are a native speaker. If I understood its meaning, I would not post there because looking up words was faster than posting a question. As a matter of fact, I don't post a question regularly. I still had long reading process in order to read only 2 paragraphs which I spent 1 to 2 hours, including looking up the definitions and pronunciations. This is not my first time to receive such message, I understand that they are trying to prevent some learners who are lazy to look up dictionary. Despite of learning a second language is a long process, I am always doubtful and wonder whether I should cease asking questions. I just want to get an answer, as simple like that. Am I way to stubborn or stupid? I just got a guy feeling that some words might have other meanings as well. Most of the time, I guessed correctly. Are they too hard on learners, like me? By the way, luckily she didn't delete my post instead of sending me private message. Thanks for my patience and persistence too, I actually got 5 answers for that question.
Jun 26, 2015 12:31 AM
1

Should I stop asking questions for unknown words?

I came across 2 words that I was unsure their definition after looking up in a dictionary. I decided to post my question on a forum. After a couple of minutes, I got the answers, and I'm always grateful and thankful for those who spend their time to help others learn languages 

At the same time, a moderator of that forum sent me a private message, saying I should always look for the answer in the dictionary first or do research before posting here. I responded that I did look it up in the dictionary before posting here. But I was not sure about the meaning of both words then I posted. Occasionally, English words are so tricky that you can not find in a dictionary. You think it is a phrasal verb. Unfortunately, it is not. You look it up word by word, but it's a phrasal verb. Perhaps, neither of them, it is an idiom! I even showed her my Chrome history, the way how I looked up the 2 words in the dictionary. I realized that I spent about 5 to 10 minutes for both words on 8 websites.

A while later, she messaged that it was a very interesting response. You see, it was very obvious to a native speaker that just an adjective + noun, and both words had very normal meanings - to me. I sighed and thought to myself, because you are a native speaker. If I understood its meaning, I would not post there because looking up words was faster than posting a question. As a matter of fact, I don't post a question regularly.

I still had long reading process in order to read only 2 paragraphs which I spent 1 to 2 hours, including looking up the definitions and pronunciations. This is not my first time to receive such message, I understand that they are trying to prevent some learners who are lazy to look up dictionary. Despite of learning a second language is a long process, I am always doubtful and wonder whether I should cease asking questions. I just want to get an answer, as simple like that. Am I way to stubborn or stupid? I just got a guy feeling that some words might have other meanings as well. Most of the time, I guessed correctly. Are they too hard on learners, like me?

By the way, luckily she didn't delete my post instead of sending me private message. Thanks for my patience and persistence too, I actually got 5 answers for that question.

1

I still had to spend 1 or 2 hours just to read 2 paragraphs, including looking up the definitions and pronunciations. This is not my first time to receive a message like this. I understand that they are trying to prevent some learners who are too lazy to check the dictionary. Despite the fact that learning a second language is a long process, I am always doubtful and wonder whether I should cease asking questions. I just want to get an answer, as simple like that. Am I way too stubborn or stupid? I just got a gut feeling that some words might have other meanings as well. Most of the time, I guessed correctly. Are they too hard on learners, like me?

By the way, luckily she sent me a private message instead of deleting my post. Thanks for my patience and persistence too, I actually got 5 answers for that question.

1

A while later, she messaged me, saying that it was a very interesting response. You see, it was very obvious to a native speaker that it was just an adjective + noun, and both words had very normal meanings - to me. I sighed and thought to myself, because you are a native speaker. If I understood its meaning, I would not post there because looking up words would be faster than posting a question. As a matter of fact, I don't post questions regularly.