Rahel
The Origin of English Language In the 5th century A.D. some populations called Jutes, Anglo and Saxon who (according to th Roman Historian Tacitus) lived in the east part of the river Elbe, arrived in the British Isles. They spoke Germanic dialects called West Saxon, North Umbrian, Kentish and Mercian and they forced the Celts to move westwards and northwards. In the 6th century there was the Christianisation of all island and the main consequence was the abandonment of Runic alphabeth and the use of Latin alphabeth. Some consonant were similar to the ones we use today(e.g b,l,m, n, n, t, p and w) but there were several dipthongs that were used as short and long vowels(a, e æ, y, i, o, u). The graphemes c and g were used as -velars k and g as in kandle or karu when they were near to a back vowel -palatal phonemes before front vowels (for example child) Many documents were translated from Latin into West Saxon because the latter was considered to be the first standard written language, as far as this area had acquired economical, cultural and political prestige. The stability of the British Isles was suddenly interrupted by two invasors: Scandivian and Norman. Scandinavian arrived in this area in 8th century but king Alfred defeated them and pushed them out of his kingdom. Both Norman and Scandinan contributed to the change of the language, but the main effects came from Norman language because they had been living there for a longer period. The Old English was a syntethic language because it had an inflectional system or case marker. The word order was more free than the Present Day English which tends to be analytic and syntethic. In the Old English the gender was marked as well as Latin and it was possible to understand the gender of each word. Only in Middle English this inflectional system was reduced, but it was abandoned during Modern English time.
Jun 29, 2015 1:47 PM
1

The Origin of the English Language

(Either: <em>The History of the English Language</em> or <em>The History of English</em>)

In the 5th century A.D. some populations called the Jutes, Angles and Saxons, who (according to the Roman Historian Tacitus) lived in along the eastern part of the River Elbe (or: Elbe River), arrived in the British Isles. They spoke Germanic dialects called West Saxon, North Umbrian, Kentish and Mercian, and they forced the Celts to move westwards and northwards.
In the 6th century there was the Christianisation of all the whole island and the main consequence was the abandonment of the Runic alphabeth and the use of the Latin alphabeth. Some consonants were similar to the ones we use today (e.g., b, l, m, n, n, t, p and w) but there were several dipthongs that were used as short and long vowels (a, e, æ, y, i, o, u).
The graphemes c and g were used as
-velars k and g as in <em>kandle</em> or <em>karu</em> when they were near next to a back vowel.
-palatal phonemes before front vowels (for example: <em>child</em>).
Many documents were translated from Latin into West Saxon because the latter was considered to be the first standard written language, as far as in as much as this area had acquired economical, cultural and political prestige.
The stability of the British Isles was suddenly interrupted by two invasors invaders: the Scandinavian the Norse <em>(</em>or the Vikings) and the Normans. Scandinavian The Norse (or: the Vikings) arrived in this area in 8th century but King Alfred defeated them and pushed them out of his kingdom. Both the Normans and Scandinan the Norse/Vikings contributed to the change of the language, but the main effects came from Norman language because they the Normans had been living there for a longer period.
The Old English was a syntethic language because it had an inflectional system or case marker. The word order was more free freer than the Present Day present day English, which tends to be analytic and syntethic. In the Old English the gender was marked as well as just as in Latin and it was possible to understand the gender of each word. Only in Middle English was this inflectional system was reduced, but and it was abandoned during in Modern English time.

notes

Either: 1 ...was suddenly interrupted by two invaders: the Norse (or: the Vikings) and the Normans. <em>OR</em> 2 ...was suddenly interrupted by two invasions: the Viking (invasions) and the Norman (invasion/conquest). 

If we say: they lived <em>in the river</em>, we mean exactly that: <em>in the river where the water is</em> or at least <em>in the river bed</em>.

Very good, Laura! It's not easy to use proper names as technical terms as adjectives.

1

The Origin of THE English Language:

In the 5th century A.D. some populations called Jutes, Anglo and Saxon who (according to thE Roman Historian Tacitus)  lived in the eastERN partS of the river Elbe, arrived in the British Isles. They spoke Germanic dialects called SUCH AS West Saxon, North Umbrian, Kentish and Mercian and they forced the Celts to move westwards and northwards.
In the 6th century there was the Christianisation of all island, WITH the main consequence BEING the abandonment of THE Runic alphabeth FOR the use of Latin alphabeth. Some consonant were similar to the ones we use today (e.g b,l,m, n, n, t, p and w) but there were several dipthongs that were used as short and long vowels (a, e æ, y, i, o, u).
The graphemes c and g were used as
-velars k and g as in kandle or karu when they were ADJACENT TO a back vowel
-palatal phonemes before front vowels (for example child)
Many documents were translated from Latin into West Saxon because the latter was considered to be the first standard written language, IN AS MUCH as this area had acquired economical, cultural and political prestige.
The stability of the British Isles was suddenly interrupted by two INVASIONS: Scandivian and Norman. ScandinavianS arrived in this area in THE 8th century but king Alfred defeated them and pushed them out of his kingdom. Both NormanS and ScandinanS contributed IN CHANGING the language, but the main effects INFLUENCE  came from THE NormanS language because they had been living there for a longer period.
The Old English was a syntethic language because it had an inflectional system or case marker. The word order was more free FLEXIBLE than the with Present Day English, which tends to be analytic and syntethic. In the Old English the gender was marked as well as (is done) in Latin and hence it was possible to understand the gender of each word. IT WASN'T UNTIL THE ARRIVAL OF Only in Middle English THAT this inflectional system was reduced BEGAN TO BE DISCARDED, but it was BEING FULLY abandoned during BY THE TIME OF Modern English time.