silvia
Adopt a disability-friendly attitude. Part 1 Adopt a disability-friendly attitude. We want to take advantage of this blog to raise awareness about disabilities and for the inclusion of children and young people with special needs. Frequently, we focus on policies development at the national level and education among other issues related to the subject. However, this time we would like to put light on our daily attitudes towards people with disabilities because we firmly believe is the first step to work for the inclusion of ALL in society. That is the reason why, starting from this post, we will publish from time to time recommendations about how to “adopt a disability-friendly attitude” in different situations in life. How to interact with people with disabilities. How is your approach when you meet someone with disability? Are you comfortable? Do you feel sorry? The first friendly attitude would be “not giving so much importance to the disability condition”, always speaking in a good way. The first characteristic of a person with disabilities is that is, above all, a person and needs to be treated as such. Prejudices or even, “positive” attitudes for helping can be harmful since the disabled condition is putted in a first place in our interactions. Having a disability-friendly attitude means some of the following suggestions: Try to avoid a pitying attitude You meet a person with disabilities and you feel and express he/she is your hero because can be able to manage current situations with a disabled condition. Or worse, you feel sorry for them because of the difficulties he/she faces and has to overcome. This is the kind of situation where you are not looking at the person as a person. We encourage you to treat people with disability as persons in first place and then develop a helpful attitude, if necessary. Be helpful but be respectful We want to have a helping attitude and inclusive attitude with people with disabilities but please be aware that not only the intention is important. Knowing how to do it is also crucial. The first step to be helpful is not assuming the person needs always helps. Please ask before helping. If you look around and the streets, work environment or other public and private spaces are disability-friendly (unfortunately, It is not always the case) he or she can be as independent as you. Probably the person with disability will let you know whether help is necessary.
Jun 30, 2015 9:15 AM
1

Adopt a disability-friendly attitude. Part 1

Adopt a disability-friendly attitude.

We want to take advantage of this blog to raise awareness about disabilities and for the inclusion of children and young people with special needs. Frequently, when we speak about disabilities, we focus on policies development policies at the national level and public education initiatives. among other issues related to the subject. However, this time we would like to concentrate put light on our daily attitudes towards people with disabilities because we firmly believe this is the first step that we need to work on for the inclusion of ALL people in society. That is the reason why, starting from beginning with this post, we will publish from time to time recommendations about how to “adopt a disability-friendly attitude” in different various situations in our lives.

How to interact with people with disabilities.
How is your approach when you meet someone with a disability? Are you comfortable? Do you feel sorry for them?
The first recommended change in our  friendly attitude would be “to not put  giving so much importance to on the disability condition” and always speaking in a positive manner. good way. The first characteristic of a disabled person with disabilities is that is, above all, they are a person and needs to be treated as such. Prejudices or even overly “positive” attitudes for when helping them can be harmful since their disabled condition is often putted given more importance in a first place in during our interactions. Having a disability-friendly attitude can be achieved by means some of the following these suggestions:

I am dividing my corrections into two parts as your post is very long and Italki has a limit to the number of characters that are allowed.

Try to avoid a pitying attitude
You meet a person with disabilities and you feel and express he/she is your hero because can be able to manage current situations with a disabled condition. Or worse, you feel sorry for them because of the difficulties he/she faces and has to overcome. This is the kind of situation where you are not looking at the person as a person. We encourage you to treat people with disability as persons in first place and then develop a helpful attitude, if necessary.

Be helpful but be respectful
We want to have a helping attitude and inclusive attitude with people with disabilities but please be aware that not only the intention is important. Knowing how to do it is also crucial. The first step to be helpful is not assuming the person needs always helps. Please ask before helping. If you look around and the streets, work environment or other public and private spaces are disability-friendly (unfortunately, It is not always the case) he or she can be as independent as you. Probably the person with disability will let you know whether help is necessary.

Adopt a disability-friendly attitude.

We want to take advantage of this blog to raise awareness about disabilities and for the inclusion of children and young people with special needs. Frequently, we focus on policies development at the national level and education among other issues related to the subject. However, this time we would like to put light on our daily attitudes towards people with disabilities because we firmly believe is the first step to work for the inclusion of ALL in society. That is the reason why, starting from this post, we will publish from time to time recommendations about how to “adopt a disability-friendly attitude” in different situations in life.

How is your approach when you meet someone with disability? Are you comfortable? Do you feel sorry?
The first friendly attitude would be “not giving so much importance to the disability condition”, always speaking in a good way. The first characteristic of a person with disabilities is that is, above all, a person and needs to be treated as such. Prejudices or even, “positive” attitudes for helping can be harmful since the disabled condition is putted in a first place in our interactions. Having a disability-friendly attitude means some of the following suggestions:

Try to avoid a pitying attitude
When you meet a person with a disability, and do you feel and express that he/she is they are your hero because can be they are able to manage daily activities current situations with a disabled condition? Or worse, do you feel sorry for them because of the difficulties they he/she faces and has have to overcome? This is the kind of In these types of situations, where you are not looking at them foremost person as a person. We encourage you to treat people with a disability as people persons in first place and then begin to develop a helpful and caring attitude, if necessary.

Be helpful but be respectful
We want to have a helping attitude and inclusive attitude when dealing with people with disabilities but please be aware that it is not only just the intention that is important. Knowing how The way in which you to do it is also crucial. The first step is to be helpful is but not to assume that the person always needs always our helps. Please ask before offering to helping. If When you look at around and the streets, work environments or and other public and private spaces that are disability-friendly, (unfortunately, It this is not always the case) he or she a disabled person can be as independent as you are. Probably The person with a disability will probably let you know whether your help is necessary.

Well done Silvia!  I would try to keep your posts shorter in the future if you would like more corrections.