Honza
Language Exchange—great topic for sociology I have been a member of several web sites offering a language exchange for a couple of years (5 or so). During that time I have realized a few things: 1) In spite of incredible possibilities of the Internet it is actually a big problem to find a patient friend who could help you with the language. This is a wound of the modern world—superficiality. It is even difficult to find a friend with no prerequisite at all! There are some big, very well done sites with a huge potential. Unfortunately, it seems 90 % of people are desperate characters who only want to heal their own inability to find a mate in everyday life and even unable to communicate in a normal, polite way! This is very frustrating! 2) In a case there are really determined language learners, the whole thing resembles a huge migration from the East to the West. Such sites are full of Russian, Ukraine, Polish, Czech people interested in learning English and often slightly annoying people from the USA or the UK. Unfortunately, there are very few people in the West who want to learn Russian, Ukrainian, Polish or Czech! This can’t work in a full extent (as it is supposed to). Simply said, English is a sort of “common language“ for the time of globalization and considering it being just one language among all will naturally fail. (Ok, I can’t talk about Chinese here. In spite of the fact it is extremely hard and for us a bit bizarre language, it would have had a strange impact in the future. I am aware of that.) 3) The only one reasonable attitude is to use as few quality materials (sites, books, ways, etc.) as possible and to combine a hardly found friend with a paid teacher. 4) For the American or the British, learning language is a bonus for patient and well organized people. For the rest it is a must. Sometimes I feel that fact a bit humiliating—we beg for the attention, they pick people they like! On the other side, they won the war :) which is what counts here. Thanks for that, guys! These points are a sort of mix of my thoughts. They slowly vary in time.

I agree with you in some points.

I agree how you feel devastated.

Same thought also come to my mind.

Usually most of website where provide 'Language Exchange' are commercial.
They connect professional teacher/member and students.
This site, too.

Also, English is one of the most preffered word, many people want to improve their skills.
But correcting 'perfect' is very difficult even who using English as a mother-tongue.
I found myself I cannot correcting Korean in grammer ways, even I am Korean, and I have a very good score in Korean in my school days.

Such as you, you don't need any corrections in grammer, in my view.
Also you cannot be friends with your english teacher.
It is hard to correting, and they want to get job.
Nornal english user could not correcting your writing easily.

But you still want to improve your skills, right?
What you need is, how to express your opinion more persuaded ways.
For that, you are better to take a class 'how to write" or running a personal blog.

Are you majoring Sociology?
I am majoring Sociology.... so I want to talk dare.
I thought you may think more critically when you want to call your writing as a "sociological topic"

Language Exchange is a one of commercial decoy for selling sevice "class".
Learning language is also reflect power of the country.
English is most powerful language in the word.
If you good at English, you have more chance to success.
People who native in English have no motivate to learn other language.
(It is bitter truth...)

But, English native and not native has a common.
Even a English native, have to learn HOW TO WRITE.
You has a great English skills.
What you need is improve your writing skills and critical thinking (or thinking more sociological)

Thank you.
Have a nice day!

P.s. My comment is rather longer than other, I posted here for easy reading.

I have seen hardly any posts here from the Czech Republic or other eastern European countries, with the notable exceptions of Ukraine and Russia. I am slightly surprised as I would have thought that people in those other countries would be very keen to learn English and other western European languages.
Юлия, I am sorry, I know, if I am criticizing something, I would offer at least a direction for the solution. This is not the case, I didn’t want to criticize the whole situation but the attitude of some sites and people. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the solution could be here. I consider that being a fact, like to pollution, bad relationships between people and so on. Maybe it is bound to the globalization itself. I believe in “private salvation” in every aspect of life—which means the only one thing we always can do is to behave and act as positively and honestly as we can. In my case this means helping people to learn Czech if they want. P.S. Native speakers of other languages are often too defensive and too much afraid of a real change. Maybe we all could simply speak English (or Chinese), and maybe this would be better than to be separated by so many languages :) The universe tends to be more fragmented and more complex at the same time. Paradox. Maybe I had only been commenting the situation which always helps to sort my own thoughts…
Honza, your article touched my heart. I understand what you mean. Recently I'm in a process of thinking over this situation and try to plan some actions which would help to change the present situation. Of course, it's a question of the present geopolitical situation, but I'm sure there are some practical steps usual people like you and me can make.Do you have any ideas what we should do for making east European languages more interesting for the people with English speaking countries?
Chris, I have just realized what you mean with the ironic note! :) Of course, there is a problem with confusing subject/object (I think), the sentence should depict US, people from the East, as those who annoy people from the West (you could be annoyed by us)! :) Probably it needs something like “… English and who are often slightly annoying…” Am I right?