Carlos Suárez
The Salesman The salesman was going to meet an old friend of his, who was the owner of a small hotel. They had agreed to have supper at the hotel. He was driving along a secondary road, which went through a forest. Even in the darkness, the salesman made out the figure of a man, walking aimlessly along the verge of the road. He was wearing a black costume, a black hat, black glasses and was holding a grey briefcase. The salesman pulled up and offered the man a lift. As the passenger seat was packed with papers, the man in the costume jumped into the back seat. Even though the driver did his best to have a conversation with the newcomer, this did not utter a word. Given that the man did not want to talk, the salesman kept driving. However, some minutes later he felt the hand of the man squeezing his arm. A lorry was about to crash into his car, but he was able to avoid it in the end. The whole thing lasted for no more than twenty seconds. When he stopped the car, the passenger was gone. This made the salesman think that it all had been a dream. After thinking about it, he came to the conclusion that he must have dozed off while driving and he woke up just in time to avoid the collision. Nevertheless, when he got to his friend's hotel, he told him about what he had experienced. It wasn't until he described the man that the hotel owner became pale. Some hours before, a man who answered to that description had passed away in that very same hotel. As the police had not arrived yet, they went to the room where the deceased man was. Much to the salesman's horror, the man lying on the bed was the one he had given a lift half an hour before. Even his briefcase seemed to be the same. He never knew whether it all had been a dream or not, but he made the decision not to drive along that road again, just in case.

The Salesman

The salesman was going to meet an old friend of his, who was the owner of a small hotel. They had agreed to have supper at the hotel. He was driving along a secondary road, which went through a forest. Even in the darkness, the salesman made/could make out out the figure of a man, walking aimlessly along the side of the road. He was wearing a black costume, a black hat, black glasses and was holding a grey briefcase. The salesman pulled up and offered the man a lift. As the passenger seat was packed with papers, the man in the costume jumped into the back seat. Even though the driver did his best to have a conversation with the newcomer, he did not utter a word. Given that the man did not want to talk, the salesman kept driving. However, some minutes later he felt the hand of the man squeezing his arm. A <em>lorry</em> (lo siento, no lo sé) was about to crash into his car, but he was able to avoid it in the end. The whole thing lasted for no more than twenty seconds. When he stopped the car, the passenger was gone. This made the salesman think that it all had been a dream. After thinking about it, he came to the conclusion that he must have dozed off while driving and he woke up just in time to avoid the collision. Nevertheless, when he got to his friend's hotel, he told him about what he had experienced. It wasn't until he described the man that the hotel owner became pale. Some hours before, a man who answered to that description had passed away in that very same hotel. As the police had not arrived yet, they went to the room where the deceased man was. Much to the
salesman's horror, the man lying on the bed was the one he had given a lift half an hour before. Even his briefcase seemed to be the same. He never knew whether it all had been a dream or not, but he made the decision not to drive along that road again, just in case.

made out/ <em>could make out</em> <em>preferimos decir el segundo pero el primero también es correcto</em>