Honza
English vs Czech proverbs/idioms Proverbs and idioms are a very interesting part of any language. Many of them are identical throughout Europe (sometimes the world!). Some of them have their own alternative in other languages. Such alternatives are often funny as well as interesting. Below I have placed some of them. The first is always the English version, the second it’s parallel in Czech. Naturally, sometimes it was really hard to translate them and I expect some translations are totally wrong (they probably don’t make sense in English at all! Proverbs: “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.” “Lazy mouth, bare misfortune.” “The early bird catches the worm.” “The early bird can jump farther.” “Never look a gift horse in the mouth.” “Never check the teeth of a gift horse.” “You can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.” “When a forest is cutting down, splinters are flying.” “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.” “Of whom is the bread you eat, his is the song you should sing.” “Two heads are better than one.” “More heads know more.” Idioms: kill two birds with one stone kill two flies with one swat turn a blind eye close an eye a bit barking up the wrong tree crying at the wrong grave it fits like a glove it fits like a buttock on the potty piece of cake it’s a toy when pigs fly when it will rain and become dry again separate sheep from goats separate seeds from chaffs